Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb

Default Error! Bookmark not defined. HELP!!

Hi...
I know I've seen this problem before, but when I did a search I couldn't
find anything so am submitting it myself.

I've created a document that has a TOC at the beginning and Index at the
end. However, when I print it, I get the message "Error! Bookmark not
defined" where my Fields are for the Index. I've gone in (several times) and
Searched & Replaced to remove them, but they keep 'popping up'.

What am I missing?

As usual, this is such an informative group and I really appreciate the
suggestions!

Thanks....
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Error! Bookmark not defined. HELP!!

Hi there!

It sounds like you're having trouble with bookmarks in your document. Don't worry, this is a common issue and can be easily fixed.

Here's what you can try:
  1. Go to the "References" tab in the ribbon and click on "Mark Entry" in the "Index" section.
  2. In the "Mark Index Entry" dialog box, make sure that the "Bookmark name" field is not blank. If it is, enter a name for the bookmark and click "Mark".
  3. Repeat this process for all the index entries in your document.
  4. Once you've marked all the entries, update your index by clicking on it and selecting "Update Index" from the "Index" section of the ribbon.
  5. Save your document and try printing it again.

If you're still seeing the "Error! Bookmark not defined" message, it's possible that there are some hidden bookmarks in your document that are causing the issue. Here's how to find and delete them:
  1. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon and click on the small arrow in the "Find" section.
  2. In the "Find and Replace" dialog box, click on the "More" button and then check the "Bookmark" option.
  3. In the "Find what" field, type in "^d" (without the quotes) and click "Find Next".
  4. This should take you to the first bookmark in your document. Delete it by selecting it and pressing the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you've deleted all the bookmarks in your document.
  6. Save your document and try printing it again.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QmFyYg==?=,

I know I've seen this problem before, but when I did a search I couldn't
find anything so am submitting it myself.

I've created a document that has a TOC at the beginning and Index at the
end. However, when I print it, I get the message "Error! Bookmark not
defined" where my Fields are for the Index. I've gone in (several times) and
Searched & Replaced to remove them, but they keep 'popping up'.

What am I missing?

As usual, this is such an informative group and I really appreciate the
suggestions!

I'm not quite sure... but in order to locate the fields to delete or lock them,
press Alt+F9 to toggle on the field codes.

If you're currently seeing what you want to have print, select the "problem"
fields and press Ctrl+F11 to lock them. (Ctrl+Shift+F11 will unlock them again)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

I've created an index swith about 1000 entries. At five or six of the
entries "Error! Bookmark not defined" appears and gets printed in the output.
Should I delete the entries and reenter them?
Qumranandy

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QmFyYg==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

No, just regenerate the Table of Contents (I think that's a Table of
Contents you are dealing with, not an Index).

Click in the TOC and hit F9. In ToolsOptionsView turn Field Shading to
"Always" so you can see what you are doing...

On 24/8/06 11:47 AM, in article
, "qumranandy"
wrote:

I've created an index swith about 1000 entries. At five or six of the
entries "Error! Bookmark not defined" appears and gets printed in the output.
Should I delete the entries and reenter them?
Qumranandy

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QmFyYg==?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Fear Johnm,
It is indeed an index, which I am constantly updating through addition and
deletion of entries. At last check there were seven instances of " Error!
Bookmark not defined". I globally deleted them with Find-Replace. I then
regenerated the index, and there are the seven right back. Word help says
that I have a page reference for a bookmark that I've deleted. I don't use
bookmarks, never have. I don;t ahve a Table of Contents, nor do I have
headers.
Qumranandy

wrote:

I've created an index swith about 1000 entries. At five or six of the
entries "Error! Bookmark not defined" appears and gets printed in the output.
Should I delete the entries and reenter them?
Qumranandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Oh, damn! I guessed wrong :-)

That error is most often seen in Tables of Contents.

Look up the Help topic "Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field"

As you will see, an XE tag can include a \r to conflate the page numbers
when the same XE tag appears on a range of pages.

Seven of your tags are expecting a bookmark, which doesn't exist. You will
need to search for the content of the XE tag (because you don;t have a page
number to find it with) and remove the "\r" switch from each of them.

Cheers

On 28/8/06 4:30 AM, in article
, "qumranandy"

wrote:

I've created an index swith about 1000 entries. At five or six of the
entries "Error! Bookmark not defined" appears and gets printed in the
output.
Should I delete the entries and reenter them?
Qumranandy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear John,
There isn't an /r at any of the entries, but there is one case of it in the
file-composition itself. When I was first going through the file and marking
all the Bible verses - and there are tons of them - I got sloppy in my
fingerwork and sometimes saw /r pop up. I deleted it each time, but I guess
it's stuck invisibly.