Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony

Default How do you open the Document Recovery Task Pane?

I accidently closed the Document Recovery Task Pane in Microsoft Word, and
now I can't get it to come back up. What do I do now? There is no option that
I can find to reopen that particular task pane, and I found where the .asd
file was located but it wont let me open it. Ive tried any opening methods
they suggested and I still cant open it separately, get word to open it, or
get the document recovery task pane to open again. Please help...
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do you open the Document Recovery Task Pane?

How to Open the Document Recovery Task Pane in Microsoft Word
  1. Open Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Click on "Info" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Look for the "Manage Document" section on the right-hand side of the screen.
  5. Click on the "Manage Document" dropdown menu.
  6. Select "Recover Unsaved Documents" from the dropdown menu.
  7. The Document Recovery Task Pane should now appear on the left-hand side of the screen.

If the above steps don't work, you can try the following:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. Click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Display" section.
  5. Check the box next to "Show all windows in the Taskbar".
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes.
  7. Look for the Document Recovery Task Pane in the Taskbar at the bottom of your screen. If it's there, click on it to bring it back up.

If you still can't find the Document Recovery Task Pane, you can try restarting Microsoft Word or your computer. If all else fails, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

I hope this helps you recover your unsaved document!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi Tony,

You can simulate a Word crash which will result in showing the Document
Recovery Task Pane the next time you start Word:

Start Word.
Open any dialog (choose for example File | Open...).
Type Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Choose Task Manager.
Choose (Document1 - )Microsoft Word and kill it. Windows and/or Word may
protest by means of further messages, but be merciless. End it.

Start Word again, and there is your Document Recovery Task Pane. It may be
wise to create a backup of the .asd file first, just in case. Better safe
than sorry, says the cliché.

Success,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".