Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig Bowden

Default Unwanted Excel gridlines in Word

I have a table I have copied and pasted as a link from Excel into a Word
document. I have the gridlines option turned off in Excel. The table shows
up correctly in the Word document and in a print preview of the word
document, but when I print a hard copy, the gridlines show in the table. How
do I fix this?

Much thanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Unwanted Excel gridlines in Word

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with unwanted gridlines showing up when you print a table in Word that was copied and pasted as a link from Excel. I can definitely help you with that.

Here's what you can try:
  1. Select the table in your Word document.
  2. Go to the "Design" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Table Styles" section, click on the "Borders" dropdown menu.
  4. Select "No Border" from the options.

This should remove any unwanted gridlines from your table when you print it. If you still see gridlines after trying this, there may be a formatting issue with the table itself. In that case, you can try copying the table from Excel again and pasting it as a new table in Word.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Gridlines and borders are not the same (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Gridlines.htm). You can remove the
table border with Ctrl+Alt+U.

"Craig Bowden" wrote:

I have a table I have copied and pasted as a link from Excel into a Word
document. I have the gridlines option turned off in Excel. The table

shows
up correctly in the Word document and in a print preview of the word
document, but when I print a hard copy, the gridlines show in the table.

How
do I fix this?

Much thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig Bowden

OK, got it figured out and decided I would post what I found for anyone
with a similar issue.

Turns out there are 3 areas that control whether gridlines show up in an
Excel Worksheet object, pasted as a link, in a Word document. If you DON'T
want the gridlines to print on the table in Word, make sure

1) In Excel under Tools Options make sure on the View tab Gridlines is NOT
checked. Do this for each tab in the workbook that will support a table in
the Word document.

2) In Excel under File Page Set Up, on the Sheet tab make sure Gridlines is
not checked. Do this for each tab in the workbook that will support a table
in the Word document.

3) In Word under Table make sure the option for Hide Gridlines has been
selected. (If it has, then the menu selection will be Show Gridlines

Hope this helps all!

"Craig Bowden" wrote:

I have a table I have copied and pasted as a link from Excel into a Word
document. I have the gridlines option turned off in Excel. The table shows
up correctly in the Word document and in a print preview of the word
document, but when I print a hard copy, the gridlines show in the table. How
do I fix this?

Much thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hiding or showing gridlines in Word has no effect on whether they will
print; if they print, they're borders, not gridlines. And I believe it's
only (2) that governs whether data pasted from Excel into Word gets borders.