Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "save as" and "open" do not respond in MS Word

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel), the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abqgrl

I had the same problem and wnet through the steps, bu in the resolution step
5 says:

Right-click "Cached", point to New, click "DWORD Value", and then enter:
{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
0x401

do i type that long string of letters and numbers in there? might be astupid
question, but enter can be the string or just the enter key.

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows

wrote:

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel), the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You need the entire string, on one line. You can copy it into notepad,
remove the line breaks, and then copy it into the Registry editor.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote:

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel),
the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the
drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abqgrl

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! AND TO CHARLES KENYON BOTH OF YOU REPLIED
VERY QUICKLY - THANKS!

FINALLY ~AFTER I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I PUT THAT STRING IN THERE ~ DID
IT WORK... I COPIED AS IS, DIDN'T DELETE ANY SPACE OR PARENTESIS
-RESTARTED FOR HE 15TH TIME AND I WAS ABLE TO OPEN WORD FILES AND SAVE...
TOO COOL-
IT HAS ONLY TAKEN 2 DAYS TO GET THIS, BUT WITHOUT YOUR HELP, I WOULD STILL
FLOPPING LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER! PROPS TO YOU AND THIS HELPFUL SITE.

wrote:

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel),

the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the

drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abqgrl

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Please see note to Suzanne S. Barnhill -as both of you
answered quickly and were a great deal of help... you tow will be hearing
from me...again...

wrote:

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel),
the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the
drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jyobbagy

I tried the fix but it still will not open the save as dialog box. I can open
the file with adobe and re-open in word and then I'm able to save. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

wrote:

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel),

the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the

drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.