Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Is it possible to see who last opened a Word Document?

Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document in
notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username of the
person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way to
view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Is it possible to see who last opened a Word Document?

Ways to View Who Last Opened a Word Document
  1. Check the document properties: Right-click on the Word document and select "Properties". Then, go to the "Details" tab. Here, you may be able to see the "Last saved by" field, which will show you the username of the person who last saved the document. However, this will only work if the person actually made changes to the document and saved it.
  2. Check the file's metadata: Word documents contain metadata that can include information about who created the document, who last modified it, and when it was last accessed. To view this information, you can use a tool like Microsoft's free "Office Configuration Analyzer Tool" (OffCAT). Once you've installed OffCAT, open it and select "File" "Open File". Then, select the Word document you want to analyze. OffCAT will then display a report that includes information about the document's metadata.
  3. Check your server logs: If the Word document is stored on a server, you may be able to view server logs to see who accessed the file and when. This will depend on your server setup and logging configuration, so you may need to consult with your IT department to get access to these logs.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I can't answer your question but I can make a suggestion. It sounds as tho
you have a security problem. Why not move that document into a protected
folder?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document in
notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username of the
person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way to
view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

It isn't an urban legend. Versions before Word 2003 stored the names of up
to 10 authors. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290945#E0LD0ACAAA.

As for how to view them, right-click the file, choose Open With Notepad,
and scroll down toward the end of the document. Wordpad won't do, because it
interprets the Word information in the file the same way that Word does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:
Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document in
notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username of the
person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way
to view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

If this is on a network, I would recommend talking to your MIS department.
If not, you could compress the folder and password protect it. If you access
that folder often you may get tired of that real quick because you have to
remember to compress again it after you are finished with it. There's also
software available that will do this. I'm sure that others will be able to
give you additional information. I know enough about this to be dangerous.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document in
notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username of the
person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way to
view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

In the few documents I have that were edited by more than one person, yes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Can you see this information if you use "Recover Text from Any File"?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
It isn't an urban legend. Versions before Word 2003 stored the names
of up to 10 authors. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290945#E0LD0ACAAA.

As for how to view them, right-click the file, choose Open With
Notepad, and scroll down toward the end of the document. Wordpad
won't do, because it interprets the Word information in the file the
same way that Word does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

wrote:
Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document
in notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username
of the person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way
to view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

The KB article I cited includes this in the description of how to get
rid of the names:

"Note This information is not stored by Word 2003."

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:
Hi

Just curious, I remember something a while ago (might have been an
'Urban Legend' type of thing), where if you opened a word document
in notepad or wordpad it would, at the end log the IP or username
of the person who last opened the file.

I don't expect this to be true but was wondering if there is any way
to view this information? We need to check who has been accessing a
document lately and we're already past the 'turn track chages on'.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the responses, I've taken them all onboard.

Just for the record, this is a publicly accessible piece of work that
someone is accusing another person of plagiarizing. Thsi other person
has denied even seeing the document so we just needed a way to see
which people had opened it beforehand.

Again, many thanks.