Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alan Gillott

Default Fix the File open dialog to pay attention to the context

With Word 2000, if I navigate to Tools | Options | File locations and select
modify, I get a file open dialog which points to the existing setting for the
Template. on my copy of Word 2003 (on XP) i get a file Open dialog that
forces me to My Documents - a place I surely DO NOT want to be. I think this
is a Win XP bug, because I get a similar preemped ignoring of the current
file path in other applications which run correctly on Win 2000, Me, SP and
98 & 95 but don't on XP.

Incidentally, i'm in options File locations in order to capture the path of
the template library so i can modify a template. File save as (8*.dot)gets me
there nicely but file open doesn't. The new common dialog doesn't let me
easily capture the path ((in file save As) so i can use it in file open to
follow the tortuous path to the actual template library. That's also a big
nuisance.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but I gather you want to add the
Templates folder to the Places Bar. You can certainly navigate to the folder
manually, then add it. Here are two other ways to find the path:

1. In a blank document, open Tools | Templates and Add-ins. You should see
Normal as the attached template. Click Attach... The Templates folder will
open. Select Normal.dot, right-click, and choose Properties. The path is
displayed as "Location." Drag to select the entire path and Ctrl+C to copy.
You can then paste this into a document, dialog, etc.

2. On the File Locations tab of Tools | Options, select "User templates" and
click Modify. In the resulting dialog, click the "Up One Level" button.
Select the Templates folder, right-click, choose Properties, and copy the
Location path.

"Alan Gillott" Alan wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alan Gillott

Phew,
how long winded
This is a bit of word long past needing redesign - the burial of personal
templates down in microsoft application land is somewhat poorly thought
through. The same goes for startup templates and other items of that ilk.

AG

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A lot of the path length has to do with user profiles (the presumption being
that you don't want to share Normal.dot with others who use your computer).

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

How to change view settings in 'open file' dialog box PaddingtonBear Microsoft Word Help 4 July 14th 06 05:38 AM
open file dialog box quit displaying in columns-only 1 at a time murphy's law Microsoft Word Help 1 August 29th 05 06:37 PM
open file talbert Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 05 03:14 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
File Conversion Encoding Dialog box when you open word file Econ Microsoft Word Help 3 January 31st 05 04:54 PM