Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GTifeld GTifeld is offline

Default Can't delete object in document

I have a weird problem here that I can't figure out. Someone gave me an
80-something page document where several of the pages contain an item that I
don't recognize. It appears to be a border or banner that appears on the left
side of the page (seemingly outside of the margins). It's actually a vertical
shaded bar with text inside it written sideways. I can't click or right click
on it and none of the things I've checked from the toolbars seem to apply to
it. It only appears in "Print Layout"; Not in "Normal or Format View".

I'm completely stumped. How do I get rid of this? Any ideas? Thank you in
advance.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't delete object in document

Hi there! It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue, but don't worry, I'm here to help. Here are a few steps you can try to delete the object from your document:
  1. Try selecting the object by clicking and dragging your cursor over it. If it's a border or banner, it may be possible to select it this way.
  2. If that doesn't work, try using the "Select Objects" tool. This can be found by clicking on the "Home" tab, then clicking on the arrow next to "Select" in the "Editing" section. From there, choose "Select Objects" and try clicking on the object again.
  3. If neither of those options work, you may need to use the "Drawing Tools" tab. Click on the "Insert" tab, then choose "Shapes" and select a shape that's similar to the object you're trying to delete. Draw the shape over the object, then right-click on the shape and choose "Send to Back" "Send Behind Text". This should hide the object behind the shape you just drew.
  4. If all else fails, you may need to use the "Find and Replace" tool. Click on the "Home" tab, then choose "Replace" in the "Editing" section. In the "Find what" field, type in a unique word or phrase that appears within the object (such as the sideways text you mentioned). In the "Replace with" field, leave it blank. Click "Replace All" and Word should remove all instances of the object from your document.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

Try clicking FORMAT in the menu and select BORDERS AND SHADING. In the
dialog box click the PAGE BORDER tab and in the settings panel on the left
click NONE and click OK.

--
Kevin Backmann

"GTifeld" wrote:

I have a weird problem here that I can't figure out. Someone gave me an
80-something page document where several of the pages contain an item that I
don't recognize. It appears to be a border or banner that appears on the left
side of the page (seemingly outside of the margins). It's actually a vertical
shaded bar with text inside it written sideways. I can't click or right click
on it and none of the things I've checked from the toolbars seem to apply to
it. It only appears in "Print Layout"; Not in "Normal or Format View".

I'm completely stumped. How do I get rid of this? Any ideas? Thank you in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Also, see: http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/MarginalText.htm
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Carol" wrote:

Try looking in the Header (View | Header and Footer) and see if you can
access it that way.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"GTifeld" wrote:

Hi Kevin.

Thank you for your response.

I tried that, but it didn't work. I tried so many different things, I
wouldn't no where to start listing them all.

It only appears in Print Layout, which led me to believe it had something to
do with the stationary, but I can't find any options for that either. I can't
even click on it. I even tried selecting Help, What's This?, and pointing to
it, but it still would not recognize it. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Any other suggestions? Anyone? Thanks again.