Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rhionin Rhionin is offline

Default How do I view a full file history of my documents?

Is there some way to view the names of all of the files that I have saved and
/ or loaded? I just finished making huge modifications to a very long report
and saved it. When I attempted to load the document again, none of the
changes were saved.

I am assuming that it was simply saved in another location. I know it saved
because when I closed Word, it did not prompt me to save the file.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I view a full file history of my documents?

Yes, there is a way to view the full file history of your documents in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  2. Click on "Info" in the left-hand menu.
  3. Click on "Manage Document" and then select "Recover Unsaved Documents" from the drop-down menu.
  4. A new window will open with a list of all unsaved documents. Select the one you want to recover and click "Open".
  5. Once you have opened the recovered document, click on the "File" tab again and select "Versions" from the left-hand menu.
  6. This will show you a list of all the versions of the document that have been saved. You can click on any of these versions to view them.

If you are unable to find the changes you made to your document, it is possible that it was saved in a different location. To check this, you can try searching for the file on your computer by using the search bar in the Windows Explorer. If you still cannot find it, it is possible that the changes were not saved properly. In this case, you may need to redo the changes and make sure to save the document in a location where you can easily find it.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you click File, the most recently used documents should be listed at
the bottom of the File menu, just above Exit. Do you see the file listed
there?

If not, you can use Windows Explorer to look for it. If you know the name,
specfify it, otherwise, specify *.DOC, and be sure to include
subfolders/subdirectories. When you get the list, use Details view, and sort
by Date Modified, and look at the files that were last modified about the
time that you lost track of the document.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Rhionin" wrote in message
Is there some way to view the names of all of the files that I have saved
and
/ or loaded? I just finished making huge modifications to a very long
report
and saved it. When I attempted to load the document again, none of the
changes were saved.

I am assuming that it was simply saved in another location. I know it
saved
because when I closed Word, it did not prompt me to save the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's a bold assumption that because you didn't get a warning that the
document had been saved. A number of factors could conspire against saving
the document including third party add-in software and virus contamination
of your PC.
If you did indeed save the document it will be listed in the recent file
list along with the save location. Merely saving a document will save it to
the place it was opened from.

Rhionin wrote:
Is there some way to view the names of all of the files that I have
saved and / or loaded? I just finished making huge modifications to
a very long report and saved it. When I attempted to load the
document again, none of the changes were saved.

I am assuming that it was simply saved in another location. I know
it saved because when I closed Word, it did not prompt me to save the
file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rhionin Rhionin is offline

Thank you for the help effort. This definitely would have done the trick,
but unfortunately, I think that I may have been subject to some virus closing
without save notification.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

When you click File, the most recently used documents should be listed at
the bottom of the File menu, just above Exit. Do you see the file listed
there?

If not, you can use Windows Explorer to look for it. If you know the name,
specfify it, otherwise, specify *.DOC, and be sure to include
subfolders/subdirectories. When you get the list, use Details view, and sort
by Date Modified, and look at the files that were last modified about the
time that you lost track of the document.

view print layout not showing full page Tom Page Layout 4 May 10th 23 02:53 PM
looking for a non-macro way to force Print Layout as the default v Kevin Microsoft Word Help 7 February 16th 06 04:45 AM
Global Template Question Deb McLellan New Users 6 February 13th 06 04:20 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Documents on CR-RW are Read Only Beth Melton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 15th 04 07:22 PM