David Emerling

Default macro won't go away

I created a macro in Microsoft Word for XP that now appears as an option on
the menu everytime I fire up the program.

That was not my intent. In fact, when selected, the macro isn't even valid.
Now it's just an eyesore that won't go away.

On the upper menu bar it says:
Project.NewMacros.REDTEXT

Why is this? How can I delete this macro?

Thanks!

--
David Emerling - Memphis, TN

If you want to email me - remove HATESPAM from the above address.

Jay Freedman

David Emerling wrote:
I created a macro in Microsoft Word for XP that now appears as an
option on the menu everytime I fire up the program.

That was not my intent. In fact, when selected, the macro isn't even
valid. Now it's just an eyesore that won't go away.

On the upper menu bar it says:
Project.NewMacros.REDTEXT

Why is this? How can I delete this macro?

Thanks!

Hi David,

This consists of two separate pieces: the macro itself, and the menu item.
They're stored separately and must be deleted separately.

Since the menu item is present in all documents, it's probably stored in the
Normal.dot template (although it could be in a template saved in Word's
Startup folder, I think you would remember doing that). Also, the presence
of "NewMacros" in the name indicates that the macro was recorded rather than
written from scratch, so that's probably in Normal.dot as well.

To remove the menu item, the safest method is to open the Tools Customize
dialog, then grab the menu item with the mouse and drag it off into the
document text area and drop it. It will disappear. (The alternative is to
press Ctrl+Alt+minus so the mouse cursor changes to a heavy dash or minus
sign, and click the menu item to remove it. But this is dangerous because it
can delete *any* menu item -- be very careful where you click!)

To remove the macro code, press Alt+F8 to open the Macros dialog, select the
name of the macro, and press Delete.

After all this, when you close Word, answer Yes to save changes to
Normal.dot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

David Emerling

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
David Emerling wrote:
[...]

Thanks! That was simple enough.

Now why couldn't I have figured that out?