Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
InvaderDeviLin InvaderDeviLin is offline

Default Repeating Decimals

How do I write a repeating decimal in Word?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Repeating Decimals

Writing a repeating decimal in Word is actually quite simple. Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Open a new or existing Word document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Equation" button in the "Symbols" section.
  4. In the "Equation" menu, click on the "Fraction" button.
  5. In the fraction box, type the non-repeating part of the decimal in the numerator and the repeating part in the denominator.
  6. To indicate that the decimal repeats, click on the "Design" tab that appears when you have the equation selected.
  7. In the "Tools" section of the "Design" tab, click on the "More" button.
  8. Select "Bar" from the drop-down menu.
  9. Click on the repeating part of the decimal in the denominator.
  10. Click on the "Bar" button in the "Tools" section of the "Design" tab.

Your repeating decimal should now be properly formatted in Word. You can adjust the size and position of the equation as needed.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Rob is offline

It's a little tricky, but here's what I've got.

Under the "insert" tab, you have an equations button. Press that to insert
an equation into your document. Type the decimal you need repeating. Select
the digit(s) that you need the straight "repeating accent" over. Under the
Design tab (it should already be active) click the "accent" button and select
the repeating accent (it looks like a straight line over a dotted square).
That should take care of that.

It'd be WAY easier if "overline" was an available font effect (like it is on
the web -- go figure).

How do I write a repeating decimal in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Rob is offline

Of course, this presumes you're using Office 2007. Which of course I forgot
everybody isn't using :P

I do believe the equation is your best bet and I believe it was available in
Office 2003... somewhere.

How do I write a repeating decimal in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

"InvaderDeviLin" wrote in message
How do I write a repeating decimal in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
InvaderDeviLin InvaderDeviLin is offline

thanks! that was extremely helpful!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

"InvaderDeviLin" wrote in message
How do I write a repeating decimal in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The equation editor in Word 2003 (2000 and XP also) does not get installed
by default. You must re-run Office setup from Control Panel Add or Remove
Programs and add it. It then becomes available as insert object.