Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sean s Sean s is offline

Default Equation Editor Newline

I am trying to put together a block of equations in Word 2k7. However, when
I press the enter key to start a new line in the editor, it sends me back to
the parent document and won't let me add a new line in the equation editor
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Equation Editor Newline

I understand your frustration with this issue. When working with the Equation Editor in Word 2007, pressing the Enter key will indeed exit the editor and return you to the parent document. However, there are a few ways to add a new line within the editor itself.

One way is to use the "New Line" command, which can be found under the "Structures" section of the Equation Tools ribbon. Simply click on the "New Line" button and a new line will be added within the editor.

Another way is to use the "Matrix" command, which can also be found under the "Structures" section. A matrix can be used to create a table of equations, with each row representing a new line. To create a matrix, click on the "Matrix" button and select the size of the matrix you want to create. Then, enter your equations into each cell of the matrix.

If you prefer to use the Enter key to add a new line, you can try using the "Linear Format" option. This can be found under the "Equation Options" section of the Equation Tools ribbon. Click on "Linear Format" and your equation will be displayed in a linear format, allowing you to use the Enter key to add new lines. Once you have finished adding your equations, you can switch back to the "Professional" format by clicking on "Professional" under the "Equation Options" section.
  1. I hope these solutions help you add new lines within the Equation Editor in Word 2007.
  2. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To continue the next line in the equation editor, press Shift+Enter
instead of Enter.

If you forget and get kicked out of the editor, just press the
backspace key and then press Shift+Enter.

Another technique is to press Alt+= to make the new paragraph an
equation -- the line-to-line spacing will be different. Later you can
select the paragraph mark at the end of the first equation and press
Shift+Enter to change it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman