Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Cliff[_2_] Cliff[_2_] is offline

Default MERGEFORMAT in TOC fields does not stick

When I have a TOC field with the \* MERGEFORMAT switch and then update the
field (F9), any formats I have applied disappear.

This is a problem because my TOC fields inherit condensed character spacing
from the captions in the body of the document. (I have condensed the spacing
in some captions so that they fit.) This makes for a TOC with uneven spacing
(the lines that refer to captions with normal spacing have normal spacing;
those to condensed, condensed.) I try to correct this by manually applying
"normal" spacing to the TOC, but as soon as I update the TOC, the respective
lines get all scrunched up again. Adding MERGEFORMAT has no effect!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

That is not the function of the MERGEFORMAT switch. Instead you need to use
the CHARFORMAT switch and apply the desired formatting to the first
character of the field code.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Cliff" wrote in message
When I have a TOC field with the \* MERGEFORMAT switch and then update the
field (F9), any formats I have applied disappear.

This is a problem because my TOC fields inherit condensed character
spacing from the captions in the body of the document. (I have condensed
the spacing in some captions so that they fit.) This makes for a TOC with
uneven spacing (the lines that refer to captions with normal spacing have
normal spacing; those to condensed, condensed.) I try to correct this by
manually applying "normal" spacing to the TOC, but as soon as I update the
TOC, the respective lines get all scrunched up again. Adding MERGEFORMAT
has no effect!

MERGEFORMAT [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 October 11th 06 06:23 AM
\* MERGEFORMAT error Colin44 Page Layout 1 May 3rd 06 09:16 AM
MERGEFORMAT problem frank Mailmerge 2 November 29th 05 08:22 PM
Mergeformat field kharrison Microsoft Word Help 6 February 17th 05 02:38 AM
HELP!!! How do I use the /*Mergeformat switch Karry Cannon Mailmerge 1 January 12th 05 10:16 PM