Andy

Default missing lines in printing Word document

I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to print a
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting deleting the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly well on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the problem.

--
Andy
Pat Garard

G'Day Andy,

This sounds like a problem with EITHER line OR paragraph
spacing.

Select the offending text, and check...
FormatParagraph
....make sure that line spacing is (at least) Single, and/or that
Space before/after are both 0 or Auto.

When you have fixed the problem, play with these (separately)
to see their effect.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Andy" wrote in message
I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to print a
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting deleting the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly well
on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the problem.

--
Andy

Andy

Hi Pat,

thanks for trying. I selected the text and checked the line spacing was
single. Spacing 'before' and 'after' were zero. Still no luck I'm afraid.
I fiddled with the 'before' and 'after' settings but these just changed the
paragraph spacing. Did I miss something?

Andy

"Andy" wrote in message
I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to print a
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting deleting the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly well
on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the problem.

--
Andy

Pat Garard

Ok Andy,

Step 1
How does it appear in Print preview?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Andy" wrote in message
I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to print
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting deleting
the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly
well
on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page
with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the
problem.

--
Andy

Andy

Hi Pat,

thanks for stick with this. Like I said in the first message, it appears
fine on the screen (on print pre-view). The printed appearance (when I set
single line spacing) is that alternate lines have only the top half of the
character. If I set a large spacing, or a different font, the lines with only
the top half of the characters appear every 6 lines, for example.

Andy

"Andy" wrote in message
I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to print
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting deleting
the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly
well
on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page
with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the
problem.

--
Andy

Pat Garard

G'Day Andy,

In Print preview, Word attempts to use the printer characteristics
to create the print image.

On my machine, if I have a page number in the footer, it often sits
at the very edge of the non-printing area and only half of it prints.
This is very clearly shown in my Print preview.

You may have an issue with the printer. Try uninstalling and re-
installing the printer, ensure that your drivers are current and
investigate what printer properties can be set (and ARE set)
in StartPrinters and faxes!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Andy" wrote in message
I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to
print
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting
deleting
the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly
well
on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page
with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a
trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the
problem.

--
Andy

Andy

Pat,

yes, you maybe right about the printer. I'm going to stick a new cartiridge
in and see what happens. Then change the software. The cartridges have the
print heads built-in. I may have a dodgey one. I will let ytou know so we
can round off this thread. Still find it awesome that somebody in Melbourne
can be nice enough to help me with a stupid printer problem in London.
Fantastic. Thanks. (Possibly shouldn't have told you I'm a Pom..)

"Andy" wrote in message
I recently had a problem with Word 2000 that made it impossible to
print
document. I found some advice on the internet that suggesting
deleting
the
Normal.dot file. This solved the problem.

However, now, when I print a Word document, which displays perfectly
well
on
the screen, I get every alternate line appearing on the printed page
with
only the top half of each character printed.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Apologies if this is a
trivial
issue. I'm not an expert and have spent hours trying to sort the
problem.

--
Andy

Andy

OK - problem sorted. It was the cartridge on the Lexmark X73 printer
generating the missing alterate lines. Put a new one in and its now fine.

Thanks for your help. Signing off. Until the next time.

Andy