Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sudders Sudders is offline

Default Styles keep changing

I am writing a very long document in word 2002 (say 300 pages) divided
into 7 chapters. All the chapters are based on one template (Thesis).
All the documents based on this style are set to update styles. The
template contains a style called Caption Body which applies the
following: Single line spacing, size: 10pt.

Everytime I open a document the style reverts to being the same as
Normal. If I manually change it back it stays for that session, but
once I save it and re-open it goes back to being the same formatting as
Normal, as does all text written in the style!

Anyone got any ideas about whats going and how I stop it?

Ian

--
Sudders
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

When you change the style, do you check the "Add to template" box in the
Modify Style dialog? If not, then the style is being updated from the
(unmodified) template every time you open the document.

"Sudders" wrote in message

I am writing a very long document in word 2002 (say 300 pages) divided
into 7 chapters. All the chapters are based on one template (Thesis).
All the documents based on this style are set to update styles. The
template contains a style called Caption Body which applies the
following: Single line spacing, size: 10pt.

Everytime I open a document the style reverts to being the same as
Normal. If I manually change it back it stays for that session, but
once I save it and re-open it goes back to being the same formatting as
Normal, as does all text written in the style!

Anyone got any ideas about whats going and how I stop it?

Ian

--
Sudders

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sudders[_2_] Sudders[_2_] is offline

I've tried with both the add to template checked and unchecked... But
this shouldn't be a problem as the style is already as I want it in the
template .... the dcument seems to be ingnoring this however.

Suzanne S. Barnhill;2289175 Wrote:
When you change the style, do you check the "Add to template" box in
the
Modify Style dialog? If not, then the style is being updated from the
(unmodified) template every time you open the document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sudders" wrote in message
...-

I am writing a very long document in word 2002 (say 300 pages)
divided
into 7 chapters. All the chapters are based on one template (Thesis).
All the documents based on this style are set to update styles. The
template contains a style called Caption Body which applies the
following: Single line spacing, size: 10pt.

Everytime I open a document the style reverts to being the same as
Normal. If I manually change it back it stays for that session, but
once I save it and re-open it goes back to being the same formatting
as
Normal, as does all text written in the style!

Anyone got any ideas about whats going and how I stop it?

Ian

--
Sudders-

--
Sudders
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sudders[_3_] Sudders[_3_] is offline

Apart from the style is already the way it is supposed to be in the
template. The template has the font size set to 10, but when I open up
the document, all the text formatted with that style changes to size
12.

Henk57;2290298 Wrote:
I recently experienced the same problem. Indeed, the "Add to template"
as Suzanne suggests didn't work for me (Frustratingly, I still dont
know why). Anyway, I corrected it by opening the template (the .dot --
NOT the .doc) and made the changes there. Then I attached the template
again to the .doc via Tools/Templates and Add-ins..., making sure to
check "automatically update document styles". I doubt it is the most
efficient way but it worked for me, so maybe it's of use to you.
GL, Henk

--
Sudders

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
misso misso is offline

Sudders;2290299 Wrote:

Apart from the style is already the way it is supposed to be in the
template. The template has the font size set to 10, but when I open up
the document, all the text formatted with that style changes to size
12.

--
Henk57

Sudders

You have probably solved the problem now, but the reason your styles
are reverting back to your Normal.dot is that Under ToolsTemplates
and Add-ins, you have Automatically Update Document Styles ticked.
This must be unticked. You have to tick it when you first attach the
template, but then be sure to untick it before you save your document
and/or make any changes.

Cheers
Caroline