Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meenie Meenie is offline

Default Big White space in my document, can't get rid of it!

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Big White space in my document, can't get rid of it!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the white space in your document. Here are a few steps you can try to get rid of it:
  1. Check for page breaks: It's possible that there is a page break inserted in the document that is causing the white space. To check for this, go to the "View" menu and select "Print Layout." Then, look for a thin, dotted line at the bottom of the white space. If you see one, double-click on it to select it and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
  2. Adjust margins: If there are no page breaks causing the white space, it's possible that the margins are set too large. To adjust the margins, go to the "File" menu and select "Page Setup." Then, click on the "Margins" tab and adjust the margins as needed. You can also try selecting "Normal" under the "Margin" dropdown menu.
  3. Check for hidden text: It's possible that there is hidden text in the document that is causing the white space. To check for this, go to the "Home" tab and click on the "Show/Hide" button (it looks like a paragraph symbol). This will show all hidden text in the document. If you see any, select it and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
  4. Try copying and pasting: If none of the above steps work, try copying the text from the document and pasting it into a new document. This will remove any formatting or hidden elements that may be causing the white space.

I hope one of these steps helps you get rid of the white space in your document. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If there is not a manual page break between the title and the first text
paragraph, then delete the manual page break. Switching to Normal view
may help you to see this better.

Triple-click on the paragraph at the top of the second page. Click on
Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks tab | uncheck the boxes for
"Keep lines together", "Keep with next", and "Page break before" | OK.

Meenie wrote:

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meenie Meenie is offline

When I change to normal view, the 2nd page appears to be on the first page
under the title, etc. There is a fine dotted line at the top of the 2nd page,
but I can't click on it or select it.
I've tried clicking in the paragraph below the line and going to page setup
and picking "continuous" but that didn't do anything.

I've unchecked all the boxes in format (keep lines together, etc) but it
doesn't help.

Meenie wrote:

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Normal view, you should be able to click on the fine dotted line
(which should say Page Break or Section Break in the middle of it) and
then press the Delete key to delete it.

Meenie wrote:

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meenie Meenie is offline

The dotted line doesn't say anything on it anywhere. I cannot click on it.
When I try I either end up with an insertion point above it or below it. I
can't seem to get rid of it.
I finally gave up and copied all the info from the document and put it into
a new document, where it looks just fine.
Darned if I know what they did to do this sigh
I went to an old Minutes and looked at the page setup and the
format/paragraph and it all says the same thing.
I just have no clue.
Thanks for trying to help me!! I do appreciate it.

Meenie wrote:

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad you got it to work. For what it's worth, if the fine dotted line
doesn't say Page Break or Section Break in the middle of it, then to me
that means the paragraph following the fine dotted line must be
formatted with "Page break before".

Meenie wrote:

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, it doesn't. It just indicates a soft page break. My guess is that every
row in the table was formatted as "Keep with next."

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Meenie wrote:

Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next

page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't

happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there,

tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the

paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...bleOn1Page.htm (and do the
opposite). I'm guessing that all your table rows are formatted as "Keep with
next."

"Meenie" wrote in message
Someone sent me their meeting minutes that I need to print out.
I have Word 2003.
There is no header or footer on this document.
At the top is the title, then the name of the meeting and date
then there is a huge white space and the minutes start on the next page.
I've received minutes from this person and others but this didn't happen.
I've tried page set up and making sure it says "continuous" there, tried
format/paragraph and unchecked everything there, clicked on the paragraph
thingie and just see paragraph marks where they should be.
I've done what help said to do to remove breaks, but nothing helps.
What's left? sigh Word can be so unfriendly

skander skander is offline
Junior Member

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been SOOOOOO frustrated with this! I'm trying to make outlines for my law school classes, and MS Word for Mac is absolutely stupid. copying and pasting between one layout and another creates an infinite number of headaches (essentially, it rarely actually maintains the formatting from one document to the next). But this gap thing is by FAR the the biggest headache!!! When you have 70+ page outlines, you do NOT need to be paying to print all those extra pages created by a ton of blank spaces. And they were impossible to get rid of!!! I pretty much flipped out at the microsoft help people for being obscenely UNhelpful about this issue. they seemed (pretended?) to have no idea what i was talking about... Which is a bit hard to believe considering how many people post questions about it all over the net. but googling it never showed me any solutions that actually exist in my version of word (or even worked, period). But i finally (FINALLY!) know how to get rid of them without cutting/pasting the text and moving everything up, line by line. I could just cry from happiness right now. seriously. the only reason i joined this forum thing was so that i could thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield-n-odie [MVP] View Post