Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SF

Default Can't print landscape

I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

In Word 2002 or 2003, you would click on File | Page Setup |
Margins tab | Orientation: Landscape | OK. There should be a
similar option in Word 2000. I would leave the paper orientation
set to portrait in File | Print | Properties | Basics.

SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
POP

SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Is your printer capable of printing in landscape mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SF

Okay, I did a search on Google Groups for Landscape and Print and after a
bit of digging, found out that there is a known bug that causes problems
with Word 2000 and Windows XP printing landscape orientation, particularly
with the HP Laserjet series of printers. (See link below)

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...3ebef96ec766bc

I tried setting the landscape option in the printer properties, but that
didn't help with regular documents, but it did allow a rather unusual
workaround.

I tried printing a calendar off the web as a landscape and it worked! So I
played with it and found that if I save my document page as an "htm" file,
then I can print it as a landscape.
But (on my system, at least) it won't work on the document I immediately
saved as an htm document (even thought that document now seems to have
changed to a web page). I had to close that particular document, then go
open the htm document I just saved, and then it worked! I hope that
description is clear. There may be someone else out there with the same
problem hoping for some kind of a workaround.

"POP" wrote in message
SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Is your printer capable of printing in landscape mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
POP

I've never had that problem.
I suspect either your Office needs a service pack installed, or
printer drivers need updating. WordXP (2002) is at
Since that link is so old (2002), I would suggest you check into
downloading and installing the latest updates for OfficeXP and/or
WordXP. Besides, if you notice, that's a LAN issue and you
didn't mention using LAN, I don't think.

My Word Help|About is showing SP3 and there have been hot
fixes since then; as recently as a couple of weeks ago if I
recall correctly.

Might we worth checking into.

HTH,

Pop

"POP" wrote in message
SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Is your printer capable of printing in landscape mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SF

Yes, Suzanne, the article specifies that the problem is limited specifically
to the Word 2000, Windows XP and Laserjet combo. It even gives a link to the
HP printer software beta software updates. (It was posted in 2003).

BTW, I want to personally thank you for all your excellent, competent, and
very insightful help on these message boards.
I frequently peruse down the messages and open the ones where I see that you
have posted an answer (even if the problem is foreign to me) just to see
what your input is. Keep up the good work!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Hmm. I have a LaserJet and never had any problem printing landscape from
Word 2002.

so
all may benefit.

"POP" wrote in message
SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Is your printer capable of printing in landscape mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SF

Thanks, POP. Will do.

I'll post back in a day or two with results.

"POP" wrote in message
SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Is your printer capable of printing in landscape mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sorry, I misread "Windows XP" as "Word XP." I seem to be having reading
issues lately. But thanks for the vote of confidence even if my batting
average is slipping pretty badly these days.

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
Yes, Suzanne, the article specifies that the problem is limited

specifically
to the Word 2000, Windows XP and Laserjet combo. It even gives a link to

the
HP printer software beta software updates. (It was posted in 2003).

BTW, I want to personally thank you for all your excellent, competent, and
very insightful help on these message boards.
I frequently peruse down the messages and open the ones where I see that

you
have posted an answer (even if the problem is foreign to me) just to see
what your input is. Keep up the good work!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Hmm. I have a LaserJet and never had any problem printing landscape from
Word 2002.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
Okay, I did a search on Google Groups for Landscape and Print and after

bit of digging, found out that there is a known bug that causes

problems
with Word 2000 and Windows XP printing landscape orientation,
particularly
with the HP Laserjet series of printers. (See link below)

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dscape&rnum=4&
hl=en#f93ebef96ec766bc

"POP" wrote in message
SF wrote:
I have checked the radio dial on
Print Properties / Basics / Landscape

But the paper keeps printing in portrait orientation.
What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP
Word 2000

Is your printer capable of printing in landscape mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
...I seem to be having reading issues lately.

Yes, in our profession that's serious Suzanne! Suggest get a cup of
coffee and/or have a second pair of eyes scan the work...

This morning I agonised for hours about 'momentos' in a manuscript. Not
in any of my dictionaries or the thesaurus. Why not? Quite obvious -
memories of (precious) moments... Hang on... Memories - that's it -
*mem*entos.