Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] gailana@yahoo.com is offline

Default Word 2003 footer linked to previous starts renumbering pages

Hello, I have a 13-page document made of several Word docs cut &
pasted together. There are 6 sections, each footer linked to the
previous footer. In the 3rd section, the total number of pages is
accurate, but the page number itself starts over. So, instead of
saying "Page 6 of 13" it says "Page 1 of 13" which is incorrect.

The page this starts on starts an outline and continues to the next
page. I also have some pages that are entirely taken up by a graphic,
if this makes any difference. I use section breaks because some of my
pages are landscape, some are portrait.

Thanks for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the problem footer, click Format Page Number on the Header and Footer
toolbar and select "Continue from previous section." If that is already the
setting, then it may be that the restart is in a "middle" section that
begins and ends on the same page, such as a short multi-column section
(though it doesn't sound as if you have that situation). When that happens,
the header and footer are not accessible, but you can accomplish the same
thing by going in through Insert | Page Numbers and clicking on Format. You
just have to be careful to close the dialog using Close rather than OK to
avoid inserting another PAGE field.

wrote in message
Hello, I have a 13-page document made of several Word docs cut &
pasted together. There are 6 sections, each footer linked to the
previous footer. In the 3rd section, the total number of pages is
accurate, but the page number itself starts over. So, instead of
saying "Page 6 of 13" it says "Page 1 of 13" which is incorrect.

The page this starts on starts an outline and continues to the next
page. I also have some pages that are entirely taken up by a graphic,
if this makes any difference. I use section breaks because some of my
pages are landscape, some are portrait.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] gailana@yahoo.com is offline

They were all set to "continue..." I finally just had to go to each
section and set the page number manually.
Not very elegant, but it's the only way I can make it work :-(

Thanks for your help!

wrote in message

Hello, I have a 13-page document made of several Word docs cut &
pasted together. There are 6 sections, each footer linked to the
previous footer. In the 3rd section, the total number of pages is
accurate, but the page number itself starts over. So, instead of
saying "Page 6 of 13" it says "Page 1 of 13" which is incorrect.

The page this starts on starts an outline and continues to the next
page. I also have some pages that are entirely taken up by a graphic,
if this makes any difference. I use section breaks because some of my
pages are landscape, some are portrait.

Thanks for any help!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you sure you didn't miss one? When you use Show Next/Show Previous on
the Header and Footer toolbar, do you hit every single section? (Watch the
numbers on the status bar.)

wrote in message

Hello, I have a 13-page document made of several Word docs cut &
pasted together. There are 6 sections, each footer linked to the
previous footer. In the 3rd section, the total number of pages is
accurate, but the page number itself starts over. So, instead of
saying "Page 6 of 13" it says "Page 1 of 13" which is incorrect.

The page this starts on starts an outline and continues to the next
page. I also have some pages that are entirely taken up by a graphic,
if this makes any difference. I use section breaks because some of my
pages are landscape, some are portrait.

Thanks for any help!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] gailana@yahoo.com is offline

Hi Suzanne, I've gone back to the document and checked the section
numbers as it advances, and the section numbers are in sequence. I've
deleted all of them, then gone back and re-added them. Nothing seems
to work except setting the page number in each section.