Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cymraes 1969

Default How do I correct the tab leader in a table of contents

The tab leader (........) in my table of contents is missing for the last
heading in the table. The first 8 are fine (the tab leader between the
heading and page number, which is right aligned), but for the last one the
page number is straight after the heading (no ...... and not right aligned).
It's the same format in the document as all the others headings - why is this
happening and how do I correct it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

Check the TOC1 styles - this effect often happens if there is an additional
tab setting close to the left margin. A short heading (typically, the last
one being "Index" g) will end before the tab setting and the page number
tab picks up on the next tab.

If the tab setting keeps coming back, you might find this article helpful:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm

Another option, if you have numbered headings using tab settings, and short
unnumbered headings that don't want them, is to use two different TOC levels
for the different heading styles, and format the corresponding TOC styles
identically save for the tab setting.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP