Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lord Lucan Lord Lucan is offline

Default Word - tabs, ruler, does not have consecutive numbers

Previous versions of Word did not have this problem - present
version=Microsoft office 2003.
On the ruler tab bar, using the mouse pointer, I cannot always get the exact
position that I am pointing to.The tab indicater will jump to the next
position left or right. Also if I use 'ALT' and drag the tab indicater to
show the numeric value, it will bypass the dimention number that I require,
i.e. in 'inches' I cannot get to the dimention of 0.75", but I can get to
0.74 and 0.76".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Display the Drawing toolbar, click the Draw button, and select Grid from the
menu. In the dialog, set the grid spacing to a measurement that evenly
divides the spacing you want.

The tab positions on the ruler snap to the drawing grid, which defaults to
spacing of 1/8 inch or 0.125". But the grid dialog displays only two digits
to the right of the decimal point, and under some circumstances that rounded
value is actually stored (in this case, as 0.13").

You can always get exact settings by using the Format Tabs dialog instead
of the ruler.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Lord Lucan wrote:
Previous versions of Word did not have this problem - present
version=Microsoft office 2003.
On the ruler tab bar, using the mouse pointer, I cannot always get
the exact position that I am pointing to.The tab indicater will jump
to the next position left or right. Also if I use 'ALT' and drag the
tab indicater to show the numeric value, it will bypass the dimention
number that I require, i.e. in 'inches' I cannot get to the dimention
of 0.75", but I can get to
0.74 and 0.76".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try increasing the Zoom ratio in the Word window. This will make the ruler
bigger so that you can drag more precisely. Note, however, that in a default
Word setup, one of the "click stops" (ruler markings) for tabs is 0.75". If
you continue to have difficulty, set your tab stops through the Tabs dialog,
where you can type in any measurement you need.