Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul A

Default How do I enable hyperlinks in a protected form?

I am creating a form in Word 2003 and am incorporating both hyperlinks and
check boxes in the body of the text. The hyperlinks work when the document is
protected, but the form field does not. Once I protect the form, the form
fields work, but the hyperlinks do not. I have tried to edit the restrictions
applied to the protected document, but have the same problem. the Is there a
way to enable both to work simultaneously?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JudithJubilee

Hello Paul A

Please look at the following MVP resource:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/HLinksInForms.htm

If you have any other questions please email again

Hope this helps

Judith

"Paul A" wrote:

I am creating a form in Word 2003 and am incorporating both hyperlinks and
check boxes in the body of the text. The hyperlinks work when the document is
protected, but the form field does not. Once I protect the form, the form
fields work, but the hyperlinks do not. I have tried to edit the restrictions
applied to the protected document, but have the same problem. the Is there a
way to enable both to work simultaneously?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul A

Thanks Judith.

This will work, but is a bit cumbersome. I've also discovered that I can
accomplish the same task by using the web form tools, vice the form tools. I
appreciate your assistance.

Paul

"Paul A" wrote:

I am creating a form in Word 2003 and am incorporating both hyperlinks and
check boxes in the body of the text. The hyperlinks work when the document is
protected, but the form field does not. Once I protect the form, the form
fields work, but the hyperlinks do not. I have tried to edit the restrictions
applied to the protected document, but have the same problem. the Is there a
way to enable both to work simultaneously?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mnew27

Paul, I have the same problem and have looked at the macrobutton solution,
but would like to know what you did with the web form tools. Thanks in
advance. Maria

"Paul A" wrote:

I am creating a form in Word 2003 and am incorporating both hyperlinks and
check boxes in the body of the text. The hyperlinks work when the document is
protected, but the form field does not. Once I protect the form, the form
fields work, but the hyperlinks do not. I have tried to edit the restrictions
applied to the protected document, but have the same problem. the Is there a
way to enable both to work simultaneously?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rynes01 rynes01 is offline

Hi Maria -

There is a simple way you can enable your hyperlinks in a protected
document. To do this, you first have to place a Continuous section break on
the line above the hyperlink and one on the line below the hyperlink (to
place a Continuous section break, click on Insert Break Continuous).
Next, you have to "unprotect" the section your hyperlinks are in. Note
the section of the document your hyperlinks are in (click anywhere on the
same line as your hyperlink and look at the status bar at the bottom of your
screen. The status bar is the bar that tells you where you are located in
the document - the first thing you will see is the page number you are on,
then the section you are in, total pages in the document, "At - number of
inches" [such as "At 6.8"], Line number, and Col number). Note the section
your hyperlinks are in, then click on Tools Protect Document. When the
"Protect Document" section appears to the right of your document, check the
box under 2. Editing Restrictions (box should read "Allow only this type of
editing on the document:"), then click the down arrow and choose "Filling in
forms". Once you do that you will notice a blue "Select sections..." link
appear under the field. Click on that link and a "Section Protection" screen
pops up. Find the section that your hyperlinks are in and "uncheck" the box
in front of it, then click on "OK". Now try protecting your document again
and see if you can use your hyperlinks.
I hope this helps you...it took me a long time to figure this one out.
Sue

"Paul A" wrote:

I am creating a form in Word 2003 and am incorporating both hyperlinks and
check boxes in the body of the text. The hyperlinks work when the document is
protected, but the form field does not. Once I protect the form, the form
fields work, but the hyperlinks do not. I have tried to edit the restrictions
applied to the protected document, but have the same problem. the Is there a
way to enable both to work simultaneously?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mnew27 mnew27 is offline

Hi Sue,

Many thanks for your reply. I've tried this before but my problem was
actually relating to updating a table of contents (the entire table, not just
page numbers), so, unfortunately, the unprotect section option didn't work.
I was wondering whether Paul's web tools option would help me, but in the
meantime I did eventually find a solution on this site for a macro that
unprotects the form, updates the table, then reprotects it.... and it worked!
However my next stumbling block is to get the macro to run automatically
upon save. Here's the code I have for updating the TOC, do you have any idea
how I can amend it so that it runs on save?

Sub UpdateTOCinForm()
Dim doc As Word.Document
Set doc = ActiveDocument
If doc.ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
doc.Unprotect
End If
doc.TablesOfContents(1).Update
doc.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, True
End Sub

Thanks for your help and sorry if my original posting was a bit misleading.

Maria