Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jgbrinton jgbrinton is offline

Default numbering problems when editing Word 2003 document in Word 2007

When I open a Word 2003 document in Word 2007 (compatibility mode), my auto
numbering (which is linked to Heading Style 1, 2, 3, etc.) gets all messed
up. Even if I clear and reapply the styles, it has problems. Either the
numbering resets when it shouldnt (e.g., 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 1.1, 1.2), or when I
insert listnum fields instead of (a), (b), (c), it temporarily goes ( ), ( ),
( ) or sometimes even (a), (a), (a). If I update fields it works again, but
then any time I insert a new number or start a new numbered paragraph, it
messes up again. The problem continues even if I convert the Word 2003
document to Word 2007 (as opposed to just opening it in compatibility mode).
The problem goes away when I create a new Word 2007 document and start from
scratch, and it also goes away if I copy and paste the text from the Word
2003 document into a new Word 2007 document. If this problem keeps up, I may
need to reinstall Office 2003. Either that or every time I open one of my old
Word 2003 documents I will need to copy and paste it into a new Word 2007
document and save it as a new document. Two years ago I set up numbering
attached to heading styles using Shauna Kelly's method
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html) and have
never had problems, so it's not a problem with the way the styles were
originally set up.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jgbrinton jgbrinton is offline

actually, I just started noticing the same problems when I pasted the
contents of the Word 2003 into a new Word 2007 document
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Unfortunately, there might be problems with LISTNUM fields in Word 2007; see
the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948845/en-us ("The ListNum
field is not displayed correctly when you insert the field in a Word 2007
document"). The suggested workaround, to make use of multilevel numbering
only, is not very helpful, though.

Naming the outline numbering scheme (in the Multilevel List dialog box) and
then specify that list name with each LISTNUM field is worth trying, but it
may not work in this situation.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jgbrinton" wrote in message
When I open a Word 2003 document in Word 2007 (compatibility mode), my
auto
numbering (which is linked to Heading Style 1, 2, 3, etc.) gets all messed
up. Even if I clear and reapply the styles, it has problems. Either the
numbering resets when it shouldn't (e.g., 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 1.1, 1.2), or
when I
insert listnum fields instead of (a), (b), (c), it temporarily goes ( ),
( ),
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jgbrinton jgbrinton is offline

Default numbering problems when editing Word 2003 document in Word 200

The worst problem is with listnum, but there is also a problem with the
regular multilevel numbering as well. I guess it's possible the multilevel
numbering problem would go away if I took the time to set up the numbered
heading styles from scratch in Word 2007 (as opposed replacing my Word 2007
normal with my Word 2003 normal, which is what I did), but if the listnum
fields aren't going to work, I need to go back to Word 2003. Any idea if this
is something Microsoft will be able to fix with an update or if the fix will
have to wait for Word 2011 or whatever.

"jgbrinton" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"jgbrinton" wrote:

The worst problem is with listnum, but there is also a problem with the
regular multilevel numbering as well. I guess it's possible the multilevel
numbering problem would go away if I took the time to set up the numbered
heading styles from scratch in Word 2007 (as opposed replacing my Word 2007
normal with my Word 2003 normal, which is what I did), but if the listnum
fields aren't going to work, I need to go back to Word 2003.

What are the problems you are seeing with multilevel lists in Word 2007?

Note that when editing multilevel lists created in earlier versions, you
must do this: Place the insertion point inside the first top-level paragraph
(in this case, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph). Then, on the Home
tab, click Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. This will present a
dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of previous
versions.

Any idea if this
is something Microsoft will be able to fix with an update or if the fix will
have to wait for Word 2011 or whatever.

The fact that there is a KB article tells us that Microsoft is aware of the
problem. However, I don't know if this is considered important enough to be
fixed quickly.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP