Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bisl bisl is offline

Default Office Clipboard in Office 2007, Windows 7

Hi all,

I have a user that for a long time has been using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo
X2 for photo management, and Word for creation of reports with his photos.
This weekend, I upgraded him to Windows 7, and as part of the process
upgraded him to Office 2007 SP2, up from the original release. Along the way
were several other office updates as well.

His original workflow was to crop the photos to his liking in the photo
editor, then copy them and paste them directly into his word document. I had
seen him do this in past while looking at other issues in word, and it worked.

However, after all of these upgrades, this workflow fails. Upon copying the
photo, a small notification appears in word saying "Item not collected." The
Office clipboard appears empty, and pasting in word does nothing. However,
the windows clipboard is populated, and pasting into pbrush.exe shows the
entire contents of the photo as copied from his photo editor. The photos are
quite large, at roughly 2900x2100 pixels, and according to image properties
from the photo editor take up 1000KB on disk and 17400KB in RAM.

While experimenting, Alt-PrntScrn on small windows will still copy the
window image to the clipboard as normal, but this can be done only very few
times before the Office clipboard appears to fill up.

Some other suspicions that didn't pan out were that AVG Antivirus (version
9.0.708) was somehow interfering, or that there was some word add-in that was
causing problems. However, on a machine running Vista SP2 and Office 2007 SP2
(without AVG), similar problems were encountered.

My user realizes that Word's Insert | Picture workflow, as well as drag/drop
from explorer will work to get the pictures inside of word, however having
exercised the workflow myself this is considerably more annoying, and a major
buzzkill. Additionally, after cropping the photos he closes them without
saving to preserve the original image, for legal reasons. Therefore working
through the file system is not an option without saving copies of the photos,
taking up a lot of extra space, or forcing him to clean up his altered
versions later on, which would be another huge bummer.

I've done some searching already, and found that apparently the Office
clipboard has a hard cap of 8MB capacity. However, this appears to have been
the case through several versions of Word already. Can anyone explain to me
why this would have worked in the past, or what could have caused the
workflow to break after either upgrading to Windows 7, or upgrading Office to
SP2?