Joseph McGuire

Default Outline Numbering

I read Ms. Kelly's fine article on the perils of Outline Numbering. I have
never run into many problems, but then again, I have used Outline numbering
only for simple rough outlines for other things, nothing too involved. But
I am having the most annoying problem. In Word 2000 I can set up OL
numbering in the desired format. When I press Enter I go to the next
numbered level corresponding with the level I just completed. To indent
further and go to a lower heading/numbering level I press tab and bingo,
what might have been IV is now, say, A, B. C etc. (I am reluctant to go
through her recommended procedure for OL numbering since I already use
Heading styles for ordinary, well, headings--free of any numbering, and I'd
sort of like to keep it that way). Same thing with Word 2003.

Here is the problem: In Word 2002, the tab works differently. When I press
tab at the next level I get an indent alright, but no change in the
numbering! I can't see any difference in the OL numbering settings between
Word 2000 and 2002 Is it me? Am I missing something? Or is it the revenge
of that demon Outline Numbering?

--

Joe McGuire

If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, try posting in
microsoft.public.word.numbering, where the numbering gurus hang out. But
note that outline numbering (as described by Shauna) can be applied to any
series of styles; you don't have to use the built-in heading (or any
heading) styles. For example, I often apply outline numbering to List
Number, List Number 2, List Number 3, etc., or you can link the numbering to
custom styles.

"Joseph McGuire" wrote in message
[...]

Klaus Linke

Hi Joseph,

And whether Tab (or Shift+Tab) change the style depends on the setting =
"Tools AutoCorrect Options AutoFormat as you type Set left and =
first line indent for tab and backspace" (or something like that... =
could never make too much sense of that option's text).

You might try Alt+Shift+Left, Alt+Shift+Right (OutlineDemote, =
OutlinePromote), which work a bit more reliable and independently of the =
setting mentioned above.

Regards,
Klaus

"Joseph McGuire" schrieb im =
Newsbeitrag ...
[...]

=20
Here is the problem: In Word 2002, the tab works differently. When I =

press
tab at the next level I get an indent alright, but no change in the
numbering! I can't see any difference in the OL numbering settings =

between
Word 2000 and 2002 Is it me? Am I missing something? Or is it the =

revenge
of that demon Outline Numbering?
=20
--=20