Steve

Default PLEASE can anyone help with my carriage returns?????!!!!!

This the third time I've posted this problem, and as yet no one's come up
with a solution!

I recently opened a document in Word 2002. Everything was fine, except when
I pressed the enter key nothing happened.

I tried opening another document, and the enter key worked normally. The
same with other programmes.

It is only this one document where this seems to be happening, and it's
damned annoying, because I need to edit it.

There's nothing otherwise odd looking about the document - The already
existing crs are still there; the text is not in a long line; the file is
not protected or anything like that.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Greg Maxey

Can you copy everything except the last paragraph mark to a new document and
then edit that new document?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Steve wrote:
This the third time I've posted this problem, and as yet no one's
come up with a solution!

I recently opened a document in Word 2002. Everything was fine,
except when I pressed the enter key nothing happened.

I tried opening another document, and the enter key worked normally.
The same with other programmes.

It is only this one document where this seems to be happening, and
it's damned annoying, because I need to edit it.

There's nothing otherwise odd looking about the document - The already
existing crs are still there; the text is not in a long line; the
file is not protected or anything like that.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Steve

Yes. Thanks, I can. However, there are two problems with that. (1) I will
lose all my saved versions. (2) I'd like to know what caused this in the
first place. I have been doing edits in a copied version of the doc, like
you suggest, but it's still very unsatisfactory. I realise I could
laboriously copy and paste each saved version and save it in the new
document, but it'll be clumsy and tedious. I need to know how this problem
occurred, and how I can avoid it happening again.

Steve wrote:
This the third time I've posted this problem, and as yet no one's
come up with a solution!

I recently opened a document in Word 2002. Everything was fine,
except when I pressed the enter key nothing happened.

I tried opening another document, and the enter key worked normally.
The same with other programmes.

It is only this one document where this seems to be happening, and
it's damned annoying, because I need to edit it.

There's nothing otherwise odd looking about the document - The already
existing crs are still there; the text is not in a long line; the
file is not protected or anything like that.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Greg Maxey

Steve,

Sorry I don't know. I am not sure if a document with saved versions like
yours is similar to a Master Document or not. If it is, while this link
won't fix it, it might help explain why it occurred.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

--

Steve wrote:
This the third time I've posted this problem, and as yet no one's
come up with a solution!

I recently opened a document in Word 2002. Everything was fine,
except when I pressed the enter key nothing happened.

I tried opening another document, and the enter key worked normally.
The same with other programmes.

It is only this one document where this seems to be happening, and
it's damned annoying, because I need to edit it.

There's nothing otherwise odd looking about the document - The
already existing crs are still there; the text is not in a long
line; the file is not protected or anything like that.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Steve

I don't feel this is it. I'd thought it might be something like a weird
autotext entry "correcting" out my crs. Or some sort of errant keyboard
customisation. Is this possible? (I haven't found anything, though.) I
haven't loaded any dodgy macros or had any virus trouble of late, and I'm
virus protected up to the hilt. The file itself is not corrupt as far as
text and formatting goes. Any corruption, if it is corruption only applies
to the keyboard entry, and then only to this one key.

Steve wrote:
This the third time I've posted this problem, and as yet no one's
come up with a solution!

I recently opened a document in Word 2002. Everything was fine,
except when I pressed the enter key nothing happened.

I tried opening another document, and the enter key worked normally.
The same with other programmes.

It is only this one document where this seems to be happening, and
it's damned annoying, because I need to edit it.

There's nothing otherwise odd looking about the document - The
already existing crs are still there; the text is not in a long
line; the file is not protected or anything like that.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Steve,

Are you using File=Versions feature in Word?
As Cindy Meister, Word MVP points out, that feature
is pretty much a matter of when not if the document
will become corrupted.

If your document 'behaves' after copying saving to a new
document (less the last paragraph mark) then it probably
did have some corruption in it.

If you are using the versioning feature if you bring up
a previous version in that file, does it work correctly?

=======
"Steve" wrote in message ...
Yes. Thanks, I can. However, there are two problems with that. (1) I will
lose all my saved versions. (2) I'd like to know what caused this in the
first place. I have been doing edits in a copied version of the doc, like
you suggest, but it's still very unsatisfactory. I realise I could
laboriously copy and paste each saved version and save it in the new
document, but it'll be clumsy and tedious. I need to know how this problem
occurred, and how I can avoid it happening again.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Steve

Thanks, no, other versions do the same thing. But it's worth knowing
versions don't work properly. I'll use them differently from now on.

Steve

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...