Ruth

Default Auto numbering in word 2003

I am using outline automatic numbering, when I have clicked the auto
numbering icon on the toolbar and used the numbers it is working fine
e.g.1,2,3, when I tab in to use the next sub paragraph numbering system e.g.
a,b,c etc that is working fine, I am having a problem however with the next
step when I want to return to the original numbering system where I left off
I have to click on the numbering icon again which I suppose is ok but when I
tab in again to use the next sub paragraph numbering system it is continuing
from the previous numbers last sub paragraph. E.g. if I finished no 1 having
used a, b an c when I go on to no 2 instead of going a,b,c again it is
starting on d, continuing on from the previous number. Can anyone help
please?

Shauna Kelly

Hi Ruth

The numbering icon button on the toolbar is a bit of a problem. You can't
control what it does, and it has a mind of its own.

To get control of numbering such as you want, you have to use Word's styles.
And then it all gets much easier.

For how to do that, see
How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

That page is all about headings. If the numbering you need is not for
headings, but for ordinary paragraphs that are to be numbered, then use the
built-in List Number, List Number 2, List Number 3 etc styles, rather than
the Heading 1, Heading 2 etc styles.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.