Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
mike

Default International Keyboard

I have just upgraded from Windows 98 and Word 2000 th W XP and Word
2003. In my previous environment I was able to set up my keyboard was
an international keyboard.
I am having trouble do the same thing in this new environment.
I have done the following
Start Control Panel Regional & Language Options Languages
Details Installed services Keyboard Layout/ME US International
OK Apply OK Apply OK.

Yet my keyboard does not seem to have been changed when I am working in
MS Word.
Thaanks for any and all help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David Candy

There are lots of options in that Details dialog box. The minimun you could have done is make it available for use. You then have to choose to use it by choosing it as the default (top of the dialog) or pressing keys (see dialog to enable keys).

Switching Keyboards
Key Description
Left Alt + Shift Switches keyboard layout or language (default).
Control + Shift Switches keyboard layout (default) or language.
Left Alt + Shift + a number, tilde (~), or accent grave (`) Switches to a specific keyboard layout or language (default).
Control + Shift + a number, tilde (~), or accent grave (`) Switches to a specific keyboard layout (default) or language.

On the advanced tab turn on both Advanced Text Services and Extend Support To All Programs to enable Left Alt + Shift support.

Keys to switch layouts are set at Start - Control Panel - Regional Options - Languages - Details - Key Settings.

But Word has its own similar keystrokes built in (with the control key). See from Word's Help

Insert an international character by using a shortcut key
To insert Press
, , , ,
, , , , CTRL+` (ACCENT GRAVE), the letter
, , , , ,
, , , , , CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE), the letter
, , , ,
, , , , CTRL+SHIFT+^ (CARET), the letter
, ,
, , CTRL+SHIFT+~ (TILDE), the letter
, , , , ,
, , , , , Y CTRL+SHIFT+: (COLON), the letter
, CTRL+SHIFT+@, a or A
, CTRL+SHIFT+&, a or A
o, O CTRL+SHIFT+&, o or O
, CTRL+, (COMMA), c or C
, CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE), d or D
, CTRL+/, o or O
ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+?
ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+!
CTRL+SHIFT+&, s

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/har....html#comments
"mike" wrote in message ups.com...
I have just upgraded from Windows 98 and Word 2000 th W XP and Word
2003. In my previous environment I was able to set up my keyboard was
an international keyboard.
I am having trouble do the same thing in this new environment.
I have done the following
Start Control Panel Regional & Language Options Languages
Details Installed services Keyboard Layout/ME US International
OK Apply OK Apply OK.

Yet my keyboard does not seem to have been changed when I am working in
MS Word.
Thaanks for any and all help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David Candy

Entering International Characters
There is a number of ways of entering international characters and symbols.

a.. Use Character Map.
b.. Use Alt + the character code entered on the numeric keypad
c.. Hex to Unicode IME
d.. Use the US International Keyboard
a.. The Alt Gr Key
a.. Dead Keys
e.. Switching Keyboards
f.. Tips
[Back to Contents]

Entering International Characters - Character Map
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character Map (or type charmap in Start - Run) and transfer via the clipboard or drag from Character Map into your document.

Run Character Map

[Back to International Contents]

Alt + Character Code
Holding down alt and pressing the character code on the numeric keypad will enter that character. The keyboard language in use must support entering that character. If your keyboard supports it the code is shown on the right hand side of the status bar in Character Map else this section of the status bar is empty.

However there is two ways of entering codes. The point to remember here that the characters are the same for the first 127 codes. The difference is if the first number typed is a zero of not. If it is then the code will insert the character from the current character set else it will insert a character from the OEM character set. Codes over 255 enter the unicode character and are in decimal. See the next section for converting hexidecimal to decimal.

E.G., Alt + 0 then 6 then 5 then release Alt enters the letter A

[Back to International Contents]

Hex To Unicode IME
In programs based on the Rich Edit 3 control, such as Wordpad, enter a unicode number in hexidecimal format into the document then press Alt + X. This will convert the number typed into the unicode character. Select a character and press Alt + X to convert that character into it's unicode number.

Selecting letters A to E will result in it being considered a hexidecimal number and it will convert to the unicode characters (which are things like form feed and the enter key).

To convert hexidecimal to decimal start Windows Calculator (type calc in Start - Run or Start - All Programs - Accessories - Calculator) and choose Scientific from the View menu. Select Hex, enter the number, and click Dec. Hex and Decimal are also on the View menu.

Run Calculator

Run Wordpad

[Back to International Contents]

Entering International Characters - US International Keyboards
Install the US International keyboard. Start - Control Panel - Regional And Language Options - Languages - Details - Add. While here review the Key Settings to switch keyboards or turn on the Language Bar (Advanced Text Services must not be disabled).

Run Language Dialog

This works in two modes. Right Alt or Shift + Right Alt + another key and also by pressing dead keys (such as accents). On non US Keyboards the Right Alt key is called Alt Gr.

Right Alt is the same key as Ctrl + Left Alt on the US International keyboards, and on almost all keyboards except the standard US keyboards where left and right keys are treated the same . This is a reason why Ctrl + Alt should not be used to set hotkeys. Also F12 should also not be used for hotkeys as it's reserved for attaching a debugger.

[Back to International Contents]

The Right Alt Keys
Key Description
Right Alt + 1 i
Right Alt + 2 ²
Right Alt + 3 ³
Right Alt + 4 ¤
Right Alt + 5
Right Alt + 6 1/4
Right Alt + 7 1/2
Right Alt + 8 3/4
Right Alt + 9 '
Right Alt + 0 '
Right Alt + - ¥
Right Alt + = ×
Right Alt + Q ä
Right Alt + W å
Right Alt + E é
Right Alt + R (r)
Right Alt + T þ
Right Alt + Y ü
Right Alt + U ú
Right Alt + I *
Right Alt + O ó
Right Alt + P ö
Right Alt + [
Right Alt + ]
Right Alt + \ Not Sign
Right Alt + A á
Right Alt + S ß
Right Alt + D ð
Right Alt + L ø
Right Alt + ; Pilcrow Sign
Right Alt + ' ´
Right Alt + Z æ
Right Alt + C (c)
Right Alt + N ñ
Right Alt + M µ
Right Alt + , ç
Right Alt + / ¿
Shift + Right Alt + 1 ¹
Shift + Right Alt + 4 £
Shift + Right Alt + = ÷
Shift + Right Alt + Q Ä
Shift + Right Alt + W Å
Shift + Right Alt + E É
Shift + Right Alt + T Þ
Shift + Right Alt + Y Ü
Shift + Right Alt + U Ú
Shift + Right Alt + I Í
Shift + Right Alt + O Ó
Shift + Right Alt + P Ö
Shift + Right Alt + \ ¦
Shift + Right Alt + A Á
Shift + Right Alt + S §
Shift + Right Alt + D Ð
Shift + Right Alt + L Ø
Shift + Right Alt + ; °
Shift + Right Alt + ' ¨
Shift + Right Alt + Z Æ
Shift + Right Alt + C ¢
Shift + Right Alt + N Ñ
Shift + Right Alt + , Ç

[Back to International Contents]

The Dead Keys
The dead keys are the apostrophe ('), quotation mark ("), accent grave (`), tilde (~), and caret (^). If these are pressed the system waits for the next key. If it is in the list below then it enters the symbol character else it enters both keys seperately. These work with uppercase where appropiate.

Key Description
' then C Ç
' then e é
' then y ý
' then u ú
' then i *
' then o ó
' then a á
" then e ë
" then u ü
" then i ï
" then o ö
" then a ä
` then e è
` then u ù
` then i ì
` then o ò
~ then o õ
~ then n ñ
^ then e ê
^ then u û
^ then i î
^ then o ô
^ then a â

[Back to International Contents]

Switching Keyboards
Key Description
Left Alt + Shift Switches keyboard layout or language (default).
Control + Shift Switches keyboard layout (default) or language.
Left Alt + Shift + a number, tilde (~), or accent grave (`) Switches to a specific keyboard layout or language (default).
Control + Shift + a number, tilde (~), or accent grave (`) Switches to a specific keyboard layout (default) or language.

On the advanced tab turn on both Advanced Text Services and Extend Support To All Programs to enable Left Alt + Shift support.

Keys to switch layouts are set at Start - Control Panel - Regional Options - Languages - Details - Key Settings.

Run Language Dialog then click Advanced tab or Key Settings button.

[Back to International Contents]

[Back to Contents]

Tips
Like Accessibility there is a trick here with general applicability. Normally Caps Lock is on or off and stays on or off untill the key is pressed again. This can be changed to act like a typewriter at Start - Control Panel - Regional And Language Options - Languages - Details - Key Settings and one can select whether another Caps Lock press will turn off Caps Lock or if pressing the Shift key will turn it off like on a typewriter.

Run Language Dialog then click Key Settings button.