Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default Manual numbering to auto (outline) numbering

Hi ?B?RHVrZSBDYXJleQ==?=,

Word 2002 on Win 2000 (though I have Word 2003 at home, if needed)

I'm getting docs from other people in our org, and these docs really ought
to be in a consistent format. Most of them use outline numbering but in
several of the larger files the authors actually typed in hard-coded numbers
in outline format.

What's the most efficient way to eliminate the manual numbers and
incorporate one of the outline numbering schemes?

I've tried Autoformat with no success, so looking for other ideas.

Hmm, that's what I was going to suggest. Other than that, this would require
VBA coding (an non-trivial macro). Basically, it would have to loop through all
the paragraphs in the document, check if the first "word" is a number and, if
it is, apply the appropriate style that's linked to the numbering. Of course,
if you have multiple sets of numbering, and outlines, things get complicated
rather quickly...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org