Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snah snah is offline

Default Create SW user manual

I have now business task to create user
manual (about 300 A4 sites with images)
I use MS Word 2003 Prof..
Question is if make sanse for me to create first XML structrure for the
manual and than write the manual. Or shall I write manual with using of
styles in Word and first than if necessary save the document as XML and use
this document for e.g. web manual?
Thanks for any suggestion, links, ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis Margaret Aldis is offline

Well, are you producing an A4 printed manual (delivered on paper or
electronically) or a set of Web pages? This will influence not only the
tools you choose, but all aspects of your design, scope and writing style,
before you even get into tool choice and document formats and delivery
options.

Word is basically not a good choice if your prime target is the Web. Many
would argue it's not a good choice for a printed manual either, but if you
set up a template following the sample and advice at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm you'll
produce something very acceptable in the software industry. To deliver
electronically without further effort and design angst create PDF. If this
is your first foray into technical writing you will have enough to learn
without getting into XML, single sourcing and so on.

Oh, and it's a good idea to spell correctly and use correctly formed
sentences g.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP