Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul13 paul13 is offline

Default manipulating numbers in a numbered outline

Is there any way to change the number of a single member of a numbered list?

I am using numbered lists to number a set of examples, but when I refer back
to one in an example I don't want to mess with the numbering. I am trying to
ge a list to look like this

1. blah
2. foo
3. bar
2. foo
4. lol
5. other
6. more
etc...

Is there a way to do this?

Is there a way to use cross-reference or paste special so that the number of
the second "2.foo" is associated with the first "2.foo", and if the numbering
changes, or the text changes, the second will automatically change?
i.e. if the list changes to
1. blah
2. blah blah
3. foo foo
4. bar
(this one will automatically change to 3. foo foo if I only change the first?)

Thanks,

Paul O
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your exact question (two questions?) is not making a whole lot of sense
to me, but certainly you can use cross-references to numbered items that
will update when the original number changes, without you typing it.

Look under Insert | Reference | Cross-Reference, and set a cross-ref to
the paragraph number of a numbered item.

Note that cross-references will not automatically update--you will need
to select all and hit F9 to Update Fields for them to change.

paul13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul13 paul13 is offline

sorry i was unclear. the problem with using a cross-reference to a paragraph
number is that it posts it as text as opposed to as an oultine number. I
would like to paste into the outline number.

My other questions had to do with a numbered list. If I have a numbered
list, is is possible to change the number of one element of the list and have
the others carry on with the list.

paul13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul13 paul13 is offline

i thought i had. i assume you mean the "reference type" and "insert refernce
to"? or is there something else that might work?

paul13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, I mean that when you insert a cross-reference to "Numbered item," you
get a choice of "Paragraph number," "Paragraph number (no context)," and
"Paragraph number (full context)." I believe these have something to do with
how much of the number is used. If you cross-reference a heading, you get
the same choice except the wording is "Heading number," etc.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There are several "context" choices when you cross-reference a paragraph
number. Have you experimented with all of them?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.