Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pete W. Pete W. is offline

Default How can I create a "blank-if-empty" numeric input field in Word 20

Using Office 2007, is it possible to create a numeric input field in a form
that has a format mask that's blank or null if empty? For example, a phone
number field of

"(###) ###-####"

that defaults to blank (no parens) if the user tabs through it?

With all it's bells and whistles, a "blank-if-empty" numeric input field
with some formatting switches is such an obvious need I can't believe it's
not built right in to Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The legacy form tools from earlier versions are still available (from the
developer tab controls) and a numeric field can be equipped with the
switch you have illustrated.

Pete W. wrote:
Using Office 2007, is it possible to create a numeric input field in
a form that has a format mask that's blank or null if empty? For
example, a phone number field of

"(###) ###-####"

that defaults to blank (no parens) if the user tabs through it?

With all it's bells and whistles, a "blank-if-empty" numeric input
field with some formatting switches is such an obvious need I can't
believe it's not built right in to Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pete W.[_2_] Pete W.[_2_] is offline

Default How can I create a "blank-if-empty" numeric input field in Wor

Try as I might (for a couple of hours), I couldn't figure out how to make the
available legacy controls do it (and thought it shabby that I might have to
depend on legacy functionality anyway ... but I digress ...) That's actually
what prompted the post, I had convinced myself it wouldn't work in pre-2007.
Would you mind providing an example?

Pete W. wrote:
Using Office 2007, is it possible to create a numeric input field in
a form that has a format mask that's blank or null if empty? For
example, a phone number field of

"(###) ###-####"

that defaults to blank (no parens) if the user tabs through it?

With all it's bells and whistles, a "blank-if-empty" numeric input
field with some formatting switches is such an obvious need I can't
believe it's not built right in to Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The legacy form fields can be edited by double clicking while the
template/document is not locked. Change the type to Number and enter your
mask in the text format field. If you enter nothing in the field it will
appear blank?
There is nothing wrong with legacy functionality - most of the application
is a legacy from older versions hidden behind a pretty face.