Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa Peterson Melissa Peterson is offline

Default Problems showing level 2 in Outline view

I am having problems viewing level 2 in Outline view of Word 2007. I have
defined two heading levels in the document: Level 1 and level 2. Level 1
appears fine in outline view. Level 2 appears sometimes, and even then it's
only for a moment after it is selected from the Show Level list arrow.

I have tried converting the document and the template to .docx and .dotx
formats. Any suggestions as to how I can get level 2 to show up? Thanks in
advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is this custom or built-in headings? If the former, did you set the outline
level correctly for each style?

Is the problem with a particular document (or documents created from a
particular template) only? If so, you may want to take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/corruptdoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa Peterson" wrote:

I am having problems viewing level 2 in Outline view of Word 2007. I have
defined two heading levels in the document: Level 1 and level 2. Level 1
appears fine in outline view. Level 2 appears sometimes, and even then it's
only for a moment after it is selected from the Show Level list arrow.

I have tried converting the document and the template to .docx and .dotx
formats. Any suggestions as to how I can get level 2 to show up? Thanks in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa Peterson Melissa Peterson is offline

This is custom headings, and the outline level is correct for each style.

The problem does only seem to be with documents created from a custom
template. Thank you very much for the link, I will look into the corrupt
problem.

Before I do that though, I have another question: since my original post,
I've found that the Level 2 headings appear after selecting a Level 1 heading
and clicking the Expand button on the Ribbon. But they still don't appear
when selecting Show Level 2 or double-clicking the plus sign next to a
heading. Could this just be a bug with Word?

"Melissa Peterson" wrote:

I am having problems viewing level 2 in Outline view of Word 2007. I have
defined two heading levels in the document: Level 1 and level 2. Level 1
appears fine in outline view. Level 2 appears sometimes, and even then it's
only for a moment after it is selected from the Show Level list arrow.

I have tried converting the document and the template to .docx and .dotx
formats. Any suggestions as to how I can get level 2 to show up? Thanks in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I haven't seen this particular problem, but since it happens with a
particular template (and its documents) it is likely to be template
corruption.

Make a copy of a problem document, and delete any section breaks in it. Copy
the whole document except for the final paragraph mark (Ctrl+A, Shift+Left
arrow) and paste into a blank document. If it works correctly after this,
then you've gotten rid of the corruption.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa Peterson" wrote in
message ...

"Melissa Peterson" wrote:

I am having problems viewing level 2 in Outline view of Word 2007. I
have
defined two heading levels in the document: Level 1 and level 2. Level
1
appears fine in outline view. Level 2 appears sometimes, and even then
it's
only for a moment after it is selected from the Show Level list arrow.

I have tried converting the document and the template to .docx and
.dotx
formats. Any suggestions as to how I can get level 2 to show up? Thanks
in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa Peterson Melissa Peterson is offline

Wow, that did it. I will have to go back and try to remove the corruption
from the template too.

Thank you!

"Melissa Peterson" wrote:

I am having problems viewing level 2 in Outline view of Word 2007. I
have
defined two heading levels in the document: Level 1 and level 2. Level
1
appears fine in outline view. Level 2 appears sometimes, and even then
it's
only for a moment after it is selected from the Show Level list arrow.

I have tried converting the document and the template to .docx and
.dotx
formats. Any suggestions as to how I can get level 2 to show up? Thanks
in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa Peterson" wrote in