Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oistein Oistein is offline

Default Disable spell check in word 2007

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a test.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Short of uninstalling the proofing tools, there is no practical way. And,
given that it requires some judgment to use the proofing tools
intelligently, and students are unlikely ever to have to work without them,
why hamstring them?

http://word.mvps.org

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a test.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian_T Ian_T is offline

We have the same problem. It needs to be disabled, and unusable (which
appears impossible), as it's for English examinations, where students are
graded on spelling and grammar, NOT on how well they can use Word.

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a test.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian_T Ian_T is offline

Actually, I tried that last night on an existing install, by marking the
proofing tools unavailable. Opening Word after that still left the spell
checker intact. Is it not possible to make that kind of change to an existing
install?

Thanks for the replies by the way...

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a test.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I believe Word will re-install the spell check in these circumstances. If
you want to ensure that users do not employ spell checking you are going to
have to provide tools that do not include it and ensure they don't have
access to third party spelling checkers such as may be provided by the
internet. WordPad should work.

There was a lot to be said for the old methods of pen and paper!

I agree with Suzanne, that in an age where word-processing will be used to
submit documents to paper/screen, it is unrealistic to expect users not to
take advantage of the tools provided. Students will require a knowledge of
the principles of grammar to be able to use a computerised grammar checker
or their documents will be gibberish. Such is the richness of the English
language, that even with a spell checker, users would still have to know
which alternative spelling was correct.

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a
test.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Best, of course, is when they've typed a wrong word but the mistake is
a real word, so the spellcheck won't notice -- their there they're
might trip the grammarchecker, but bough/bow/beau wouldn't. (Cf.
"Gladly the crosseyed bear" and "There is a bomb in Gilead.")

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a
test.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian_T Ian_T is offline

Unfortunatley, until the Exam Boards take the Microsoft line, that's not much
use. It seems a shame that they are taught using MS Office, but can't
actually use that in an examination environment... we are talking about
students who can't use pen and ink for whatever reason obviously. I've
suggested Wordpad, but it doesn't provide the same familiarity that Word
does, so increases the students anxiety about it during the exam - not the
ideal situation.

I should say that this is for those students with special needs, rather than
the rest of the student body., and once again, these conditions are imposed
the the Exam Boards, not us.

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during a
test.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is not a Microsoft issue (and the contributors here do not work for nor
speak for Microsoft) but something that will have to be resolved between
yourselves and the examination board, as a requirement to use Microsoft Word
without the integral tools it provides is not viable.

news

"Oistein" wrote in message

Does anyone now hove too disable spell check in word 2007?
I need to be sure that my students can't start the tool during
test.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But the Exam Boards are not requiring the use of MS Word. That's a practical
requirement, as Ian said, because the students are familiar with it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
This is not a Microsoft issue (and the contributors here do not work for
nor speak for Microsoft) but something that will have to be resolved
between yourselves and the examination board, as a requirement to use
Microsoft Word without the integral tools it provides is not viable.

news