Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw

Default Multilevel sorting

I need to combine two files; each containing a long alphabetical list of main
entries, each main entry containing alphabetical subentries that must remain
with their respective main entry. How do I do a sort of this level so that I
end up with one larger file, containing all main entries of both files,
alphaetized, but each of the main entries keeping their respective subentries?

Many thanks,

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw

Thank you for showing me this information.

How do I format the main entries with a heading style? I see how the source
shows how to use it once you have formatted it, but how to get there in the
first place?

Many thanks,

Tobiah

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If the main entries are formatted with a heading style, you can use Outline
view; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

I need to combine two files; each containing a long alphabetical list of main
entries, each main entry containing alphabetical subentries that must remain

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw via OfficeKB.com

Thank you.

I tried applying it to the two indexes I want to collate, but I do not get
heading levels by using this method.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Click in the paragraph and apply the style by selecting it from the Styles
dropdown or Styles and Formatting task pane.

Thank you for showing me this information.

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

What is the format of the "indexes" you are dealing with. And are these
INDEX fields (or TOC fields)? If each line in the index is a separate
paragraph, you should be able to apply heading paragraph styles to the main
entries.