Max

Default Another user has created a template for a Fax Cover Sheet and incl

a short list with checkboxes, such as "Urgent", "Please Comment", etc.

I have taken the template and re-personalized it for my own use, but I am
stuck on these checkboxes.

Is there a way to insert a checkmark in the appropriate boxes using the word
processor? I'm trying to avoid having to do it by hand (not that it's so
much extra effort, but I think that if the program can create the checkboxes,
on principle I should be able to check them off using the same program).
---
Thanks in advance,
Max
Ann Scharpf

There are multiple ways this user could have added the check box to the
template.

1. The user could have inserted the box SYMBOL, which is just a character
like other letters or numbers. (They would have done Insert Symbol
choose font face with desired box shape.) If the template creator used this
method, you CANNOT fill in the check box. You could do Insert Symbol and
select the filled in check box from Wingdings or some other font.

2. The user could have created a FORM. In this case they would have
inserted the form check box. (A button on the Forms toolbar.) You can only
use the form fill in fields if the form is in a protected state. (Tools
Protect document.) If the user created a form, they would have needed to
insert text fields where you can enter free form text for the fax
instructions. You'll be able to determine whether the box is a character or
a form field by doing the Tools Protect document test.

If your template creator is an advanced Word user, the fax template might be
a form. If they are a new to midling user, chances are the box is just a
special character in the document. If you want to try to figure out how to
do forms, look in the help.

I hope this makes sense.

"Max" wrote:

a short list with checkboxes, such as "Urgent", "Please Comment", etc.

I have taken the template and re-personalized it for my own use, but I am
stuck on these checkboxes.

Is there a way to insert a checkmark in the appropriate boxes using the word
processor? I'm trying to avoid having to do it by hand (not that it's so
much extra effort, but I think that if the program can create the checkboxes,
on principle I should be able to check them off using the same program).
---
Thanks in advance,
Max

Max

Well, I was playing around with them, clicking different buttons and
exploring the various options on the toolbar, and I accidentally figured out
how to do it; perhaps that demonstrates how the boxes were made. Here's what
happened: I left-click the cursor as it hovers over the checkbox, and that
"highlights" the box; then almost immediately, I left-click again, and that
inserts the checkmark in the box. If I follow those same few steps again,
that removes the checkmark from the box.

I had tried looking in help for how to use forms. I did see the help items
on creating forms, but nothing on how to use one that's already been created,
then I came here.
---
In peace,
Max

Word's built-in fax cover sheet templates use clickable check boxes (they
require a double-click). For more, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/add_check_boxes.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm