Shawna

Default Linking numbers

I want to link numbers within the same document. For example I want to
insert a number one (anywhere in the text I want, not necessarily numbering a
paragraph or text) in the document three separate times. If I change one of
those numbers I want it to change all three of those numbers in the document.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Shawna
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Yes. Bookmark the original number, then use a REF field to insert the
instances. When you change the original, and update the REF fields (Ctrl+A,
F9), all will now contain the same number.

Details

To bookmark the original item, select it and choose Insert Bookmark. Type a
name for the bookmark (such as doodlenumber, and press Enter.

To insert that item elsewhere, go to the elsewhere location, press Ctrl+F9
(to insert field braces {}), type the bookmark name between the braces: {
doodlenumber}, then press F9.

If you change the number in the original location, make sure you update the
"elsewhere" instances. The easiest way usually is to press Ctrl+A to select
the whole document, then press F9. If the "elsewhere" is in a
footer/header/footnote, note that you'd need to open the corresponding panel
in order to do the Ctrl+A F9 thing, since Ctrl+A doesn't select
footers/header/footnotes unless the corresponding panel contains the
insertion point.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com