Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SarahMatthew SarahMatthew is offline

Default What happened to the old Autotype function?

I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store phrases and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the same
feature.
Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing the name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SarahMatthew SarahMatthew is offline

Top answer, thanks.
Shame about looking a nifty feature though - I can't see any benefit in not
having it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing the name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Apparently, with the introduction of building blocks, which generalize
the concept of AutoText, Microsoft was unable to implement an
AutoComplete feature, and therefore it was dropped.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing the

name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store

phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the

same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It turned out that with so many things included in the Building Blocks
listings, AutoComplete prompts were firing up almost all the time, making it
very distracting to try to type documents. So, Microsoft decided to disable
AutoComplete. I'm hoping they'll find a way to make it work only for the
AutoText gallery, in which case they might bring it back in an update at
some later time.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing the

name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store

phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the

same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thanks for clarifying.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing

the
name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store

phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing

the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find

the
same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wildblue Wildblue is offline

Unfortunately, typing the name of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 does not
work. We lost numerous and extensive autotext entries when we upgraded to
Word 2007.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing the name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do the AutoText entries show up in the Building Blocks Organizer? (Insert ,
Quick Parts, Building Blocks Organizer).

If not then it's possible that your pre-existing Normal.dot was not used to
build the new Normal.dotm file.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing the name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find the same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Libertybelle Libertybelle is offline

I have Office 2007. Would the omission of the AutoComplete be why my date in
a Word document doesn't complete after typing the month and hitting "enter"
(as I used to)? I've contacted a Microsoft tech, and so far he cannot figure
it out. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The AutoComplete feature has been removed in Word 2007. Typing

the
name
of the AutoText entry and pressing F3 should work, though.
Alternatively, you can use AutoCorrect instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SarahMatthew" wrote in message
I use to run Office 97 on my old PC and I was able to store
phrases
and
salutations which would automatically type out after my typing

the
first few
words, but my new PC has Office 2007 and I can't seem to find

the
same
feature.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoComplete of dates is the only aspect of AutoComplete that *does* work in
Word 2007. If it's not working, then it might be a problem of registry
corruption. To confirm, try starting Word in Safe Mode (hold Ctrl when
starting Word, then click Yes to starting in safe mode).

If starting in safe mode cause AutoComplete to work, I would suggest
deleting the Data key in the registry. For info on how to do this, see:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...eySettings.htm

and note that for Word 2007, the data key is he

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

It is also possible to turn AutoComplete of dates off by creating a macro,
but I suspect that you have not done that (you'd remember):

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...-in-word-2007/

--
"Libertybelle" wrote in message
I have Office 2007. Would the omission of the AutoComplete be why my date
in
a Word document doesn't complete after typing the month and hitting
"enter"
(as I used to)? I've contacted a Microsoft tech, and so far he cannot
figure
it out. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.