Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Lewis David Lewis is offline

Default How to insert numbering of a previous section inside a sentance

When writing in word, I have a variety of numbered paragraphs.

In some paragraphs, I include a reference to the number of an earlier
paragraphs.

But if I later insert an extra numbered paragraph earlier in the document
then the reference numbers inside later paragraphs all need to be manually
updated.

How to automate this process?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used auto numbering to number the paragraphs, you can use Insert
| Reference | Cross-reference to insert a reference to the "Paragraph
number" of "Numbered item." This cross-reference will not update completely
automatically, but it will update when other fields are updated (at print
time, for example, or when you Print Preview or explicitly update fields in
the document).