Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
babatjie

Default Word doesn't color-code reviewers in track changes

Trying to distinguish among the tracked changes of several reviewers but all
are showing up in same color (red), even though each is inputting from a
different computer. Can't find anything to set up to fix this. Using Word
2002. THX

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

In the Tools Track Changes Options dialog, set the color dropdown
for insertions to "By Author".

Because Microsoft goofed and left out the options for deletions in
that dialog in Word 2002, you need to use the macro editor to set
them. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Put_Track_...k_On_Track.htm for
instructions. Use the four steps at the bottom of the page. The
specific line you need here is
Application.Options.DeletedTextColor = wdByAuthor

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:19:01 -0700, babatjie
wrote:

Trying to distinguish among the tracked changes of several reviewers but all
are showing up in same color (red), even though each is inputting from a
different computer. Can't find anything to set up to fix this. Using Word
2002. THX

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
babatjie

The "by author" setting was already in place. The link you sent was a little
beyond my abilities. However, I solved it another way. Thanks nonetheless.

wrote:

Trying to distinguish among the tracked changes of several reviewers but all
are showing up in same color (red), even though each is inputting from a
different computer. Can't find anything to set up to fix this. Using Word
2002. THX

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
babatjie

Several hours later, I have answered my own question. It was not as simple as
choosing the "by author" option on the "track changes" tab under the
"Options" menu. Instead, it required going to the "security" tab and
unchecking "remove personal information" and (I believe far more importantly)
going to the "user information" tab and typing in a name and initials for my
computer and myself. After I did those things, my changes at last started
appearing in a different color from the previous reviewer.

"babatjie" wrote:

Trying to distinguish among the tracked changes of several reviewers but all
are showing up in same color (red), even though each is inputting from a
different computer. Can't find anything to set up to fix this. Using Word
2002. THX

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snack snack is offline

I (and several people I work with) are having this problem recently. We have
done everything listed below ("by author" has been selected in the "track
changes" tab; "remove personal information" has been unchecked" and we all
have added our own user information -- name and initials). What's happening
is my changes are the same color as changes made by the previous author.

Any solutions?

"babatjie" wrote:

Trying to distinguish among the tracked changes of several reviewers but all
are showing up in same color (red), even though each is inputting from a
different computer. Can't find anything to set up to fix this. Using Word
2002. THX

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi snack

I'd suggest that you create a brand new document as a test. Type some words
in it and then turn on track changes. Make some changes, save and send to a
colleague or two.

If that new document works OK, then the problem with your existing document
may be that Word thinks there are more than 8 reviewers of the document. On
the Reviewing toolbar, click Show Reviewers to see all the Reviewers that
Word thinks have un-accepted tracked changes in this document. When there
are more than 9 reviewers, Word starts recycling its colours. That is, what
Word thinks are Author 1 and Author 9 are both shown in red.

There's no way you can control the colours Word uses.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word