Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jsm jsm is offline

Default Paper size in Word

My new computer came with Word 2003 installed. The paper size has been set at
11.69w by 16.54h. When I try to change it in page set up it will always
revert back and message says "increasing the R margin will caue the last
columt to become too narrow. The margins are set as follows: top 1", bottom
1", right and left sides .5".
--
jsm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jsm jsm is offline

I reset the columns to one, so now the page is 6 inches wide. Can't get it to
8 1/2 inches. How do I change it in Normal?
--
jsm

"jsm" wrote:

My new computer came with Word 2003 installed. The paper size has been set at
11.69w by 16.54h. When I try to change it in page set up it will always
revert back and message says "increasing the R margin will caue the last
columt to become too narrow. The margins are set as follows: top 1", bottom
1", right and left sides .5".
--
jsm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is it the paper that's 6" wide or the margin width? On the Paper tab of the
File | Page Setup dialog, set the paper size to Letter, then set your
margins as needed on the Margins tab.

"jsm" wrote:

My new computer came with Word 2003 installed. The paper size has been

set at
11.69w by 16.54h. When I try to change it in page set up it will always
revert back and message says "increasing the R margin will caue the last
columt to become too narrow. The margins are set as follows: top 1",

bottom
1", right and left sides .5".
--
jsm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jsm jsm is offline

I have tried to set the paper size to letter, but it will not take it. It is
set at "custom" 11-- wide by 16---high. I click appy from this moment on and
default, but no dice. I immediately get the message about changing the right
margin which would make it too narrow. the right margin is set at .5. I have
checked the printer properties and it looks like it is set to letter size.
English (United States ) is the language selected. Normal is the word listed
at the top.
--
jsm

"jsm" wrote:

My new computer came with Word 2003 installed. The paper size has been

set at
11.69w by 16.54h. When I try to change it in page set up it will always
revert back and message says "increasing the R margin will caue the last
columt to become too narrow. The margins are set as follows: top 1",

bottom
1", right and left sides .5".
--
jsm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you experience the same problem if you start in Safe Mode (press and hold
Ctrl while Word is loading)?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is it the paper that's 6" wide or the margin width? On the Paper tab of

the
File | Page Setup dialog, set the paper size to Letter, then set your
margins as needed on the Margins tab.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jsm" wrote:

My new computer came with Word 2003 installed. The paper size has

been
set at
11.69w by 16.54h. When I try to change it in page set up it will

always
revert back and message says "increasing the R margin will caue the

last
columt to become too narrow. The margins are set as follows: top 1",

bottom
1", right and left sides .5".
--
jsm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jsm jsm is offline

No, opening in safe mode seems to correct the problem, but it goes back when
I open Word normally. So, do I always have to open it in Safe Mode?
--
jsm

"jsm" wrote:

My new computer came with Word 2003 installed. The paper size has

been
set at
11.69w by 16.54h. When I try to change it in page set up it will

always
revert back and message says "increasing the R margin will caue the

last
columt to become too narrow. The margins are set as follows: top 1",
bottom
1", right and left sides .5".
--
jsm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, but if it works properly in Safe Mode, then you know the problem is with
Normal.dot, an add-in, the Registry, or the printer driver (my bet would be
on the last). See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm
for steps to troubleshoot each.

news