Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

Default Clicking on first link takes 30 seconds to display in browser

XP Pro SP2
Office 2003 SP2

Problem: Clicking on first link takes 30 seconds to display in browser.

I turn off firewall, virus checker, etc..
I open a Word DOC.
I click on any link.
Status says "Word is preparing to load this document."
It takes 30 seconds to load and display in browser (the browser is already
open).
I click on a second link in the DOC.
It instantly comes up in browser.

This behavior occurs in all DOCs.
Since I turned off firewall, virus checker, etc., why does it take so long
to load the first link into the browser?

I appreciate any feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman Iceman is offline

In this group John wrote in message

XP Pro SP2
Office 2003 SP2

Problem: Clicking on first link takes 30 seconds to display in
browser.
I turn off firewall, virus checker, etc..
I open a Word DOC.
I click on any link.
Status says "Word is preparing to load this document."
It takes 30 seconds to load and display in browser (the browser is
already open).
I click on a second link in the DOC.
It instantly comes up in browser.

This behavior occurs in all DOCs.
Since I turned off firewall, virus checker, etc., why does it take so
long to load the first link into the browser?

I appreciate any feedback.

Does cut/pasting the link into the browser's address window make any
difference?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

If you cut and paste the address directly into the browser,
it immediately comes up. Therefore, the address is good.
This is a problem for the first time you click on a link
in any DOC file. The second link you click on comes up quickly.

It is unclear why there is such a long delay loading the first link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman Iceman is offline

In this group John wrote in message

If you cut and paste the address directly into the browser,
it immediately comes up. Therefore, the address is good.
This is a problem for the first time you click on a link
in any DOC file. The second link you click on comes up quickly.

It is unclear why there is such a long delay loading the first link.

Well, obviously it has something to do with the way your browser "talks" to
other programs, such as Winword.

Slow links (or not working) are a frequent problem in Outlook Express, and I
don't know if you have experienced that too. If you want, you can try the
following (it won't do any harm, I guarantee). It's a common remedy for
hyperlink problems, and often recommended.

Click Start | Run and type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Then reboot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

Thanks for the feedback.

However, installing
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
did not help.

You may find this interesting about urlmon.dll

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/lofiv...php/t4358.html

I work for a help-desk at a company that has Ad-Aware Pro running at several
remote sites. Definitions, etc are handled at the remote locations.
Recently, we have had a rash of instances where Ad-Aware/Ad-Watch is
removing urlmon.dll. We can put this into the ignore list, but I wanted to
try to find out why this is happening. It is frustrating, because several of
our applications are dependant of this dll, and if Ad-Aware is going to keep
removing it, we are going to have some unhappy callers, etc. If anyone has
suggestions or any thoughts, I would appreciate the assistance. Thx.