Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mighty Magpie Mighty Magpie is offline

Default Changing a Filename in Header which changes when the document is renamed

Hi,

I was recently sent a Word document which has the filename in the header.

When I saved the document under a different name, the name in the header
instantly changed so as to reflect the "new" document name.

How can I set up a document to do this snazzy little trick?

I have tried using the entries shown in the list in "Insert Auto text" but
this doesn't do the same job.

I am using Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Abby[_2_] Abby[_2_] is offline

Word 2000 here. Should work the same.

Insert | Field
Document Information | Filename

F9 toggles the update for the field once you've given the new document a
filename.

HTH!
)
Abby

"Mighty Magpie" mighty.magpie@home wrote in message
Hi,

I was recently sent a Word document which has the filename in the header.

When I saved the document under a different name, the name in the header
instantly changed so as to reflect the "new" document name.

How can I set up a document to do this snazzy little trick?

I have tried using the entries shown in the list in "Insert Auto text" but
this doesn't do the same job.

I am using Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

Default Changing a Filename in Header which changes when the document is r

Depending on what you require, you can:

1.In the header, where the document name is positioned, select Insert\Field
in the field names, select DocProperties then Title. this will place the name
you saved the document as in the header.

2. If the Title of the Document is on the First page with the style "Title"
applied, Select Insert\Field in the field names, select Title then the case
you require.

You may have to press F9 to see the changes straight away, but they wil
change automatically when the document is closed and re-opened.

Hope this helps,

--
Brian McCaffery

"Mighty Magpie" wrote:

Hi,

I was recently sent a Word document which has the filename in the header.

When I saved the document under a different name, the name in the header
instantly changed so as to reflect the "new" document name.

How can I set up a document to do this snazzy little trick?

I have tried using the entries shown in the list in "Insert Auto text" but
this doesn't do the same job.

I am using Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mighty Magpie Mighty Magpie is offline

Thanks for the responses.
The second tip kind of works but only if I view header and then put the
cursor at the beginning of the field and press F9

The document I was sent, whenever the file is saved with another name, the
header changes accordingly to the same name.

I shall keep trying.

Thanks again

"Abby" wrote in message
Word 2000 here. Should work the same.

Insert | Field
Document Information | Filename

F9 toggles the update for the field once you've given the new document a
filename.

HTH!
)
Abby

"Mighty Magpie" mighty.magpie@home wrote in message
Hi,

I was recently sent a Word document which has the filename in the header.

When I saved the document under a different name, the name in the header
instantly changed so as to reflect the "new" document name.

How can I set up a document to do this snazzy little trick?

I have tried using the entries shown in the list in "Insert Auto text"
but this doesn't do the same job.

I am using Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See this article:

The FILENAME field does not automatically update when you open a document in
Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832897/

--
Stefan Blom