Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ignoramus Ignoramus is offline

Default Transferring Autotext entries from Office XP to Office 2007

I read this
(http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true)
about migrating AutoText entries from an older version of Word to an Office
2000 installation running on Vista, but am facing a huge problem.

I cannot find or access the AppData folder referred to in the above
technote; I looked using Windows Explorer )with the option of Show Hidden
Folders turned on) and also using the Command Prompt and the chkdir command.

Any ideas on what else I could do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

%APPDATA% is not an actual folder name, but an "environment variable"
or alias that Windows can use to look for a particular folder within
your profile.

In order to use the %APPDATA% alias to go to an actual folder, you
have to type it (including the percent signs before and after) into
the address box at the top of the Computer window; then Windows will
expand it to the correct physical location.

The article says "(By default, %APPDATA% is C:\Documents and
Settings\username\AppData\Microsoft\.)" But that is for Windows XP
and earlier, and it also isn't quite right -- the Microsoft folder is
a subfolder of %APPDATA%. For Windows Vista, the %APPDATA% alias
corresponds by default to either the Local folder or the Roaming
folder under C:\Users\username\AppData.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 19:06:53 -0700, "Ignoramus"
wrote:

I read this
(http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true)
about migrating AutoText entries from an older version of Word to an Office
2000 installation running on Vista, but am facing a huge problem.

I cannot find or access the AppData folder referred to in the above
technote; I looked using Windows Explorer )with the option of Show Hidden
Folders turned on) and also using the Command Prompt and the chkdir command.

Any ideas on what else I could do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It's not a single folder, it's the location for your profile which may vary
for each user and your operating system. An easy way to find it is to go to
Start/Run, type %APPDATA% and then click OK. Alternatively, type it in the
Address bar in the Windows Explorer and press Enter.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word