Yelrab

Default how do i stop wd from opening multiple applications for mutl-docs.

When I open multiple spread sheets using Excel they all open under one Excel
application, but when I open multiple word documents using MSWord they open
in individual applications resulting in multiple Word apps open at one time.
How do I change this so only one word app is opened?
Pat Garard

G'Day Yelrab,

There is only one instance of Word, although your documents
are opening in individual Windows (MDI - Multiple Document
Interface).

To turn this off and return to SDI (Single Document Interface):
ToolsOptions
View (tab)
Windows in Taskbar (UNCHECK the box at top right)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Yelrab" wrote in message
When I open multiple spread sheets using Excel they all open under one
Excel
application, but when I open multiple word documents using MSWord they
open
in individual applications resulting in multiple Word apps open at one
time.
How do I change this so only one word app is opened?

Jay Freedman

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:44:01 -0700, Yelrab
wrote:

When I open multiple spread sheets using Excel they all open under one Excel
application, but when I open multiple word documents using MSWord they open
in individual applications resulting in multiple Word apps open at one time.
How do I change this so only one word app is opened?

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, go to Tools Options View and clear
the checkbox for "Windows in Taskbar".

If you have Word 2000, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/SDIMDI.htm

In any of these versions, the separate windows for separate documents
aren't really multiple apps -- there is one copy of winword.exe
running, but displaying multiple windows. You can see this by running
the Task Manager and looking at the list of processes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pat Garard

OOooopppppsssssssssss!!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Actually, it's the other way round--MDI is the old way and SDI the new.

so
all may benefit.

"Yelrab" wrote in message
When I open multiple spread sheets using Excel they all open under one
Excel
application, but when I open multiple word documents using MSWord they
open
in individual applications resulting in multiple Word apps open at one
time.
How do I change this so only one word app is opened?

Same difference. g MDI puts multiple documents in a single window; SDI
gives each document its own single window.

"Pat Garard" apgarardATbigpondDOTnetDOTau wrote in message
OOooopppppsssssssssss!!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Actually, it's the other way round--MDI is the old way and SDI the new.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.