Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
newbie newbie is offline

Default Word 2007 beta outline numbering?

Does anyone know if the outline numbering feature is present in beta release
of Word 2007 - can't see the tab unber Modify-Numbering?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bmV3Ymll?=,

Does anyone know if the outline numbering feature is present in beta release
of Word 2007 - can't see the tab unber Modify-Numbering?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "outline numbering feature": whether you
mean the Outline view (look in the View tab) or general Outline numbering (look
in the Home tab).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Baker Richard  Baker is offline

I cannot see how to use automatic paragraph numbering in the Outline
View which was present in Word 2003?

Thanks
Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Richard,

I cannot see how to use automatic paragraph numbering in the Outline
View which was present in Word 2003?

Point...

In that case, in Word 2007 look under the HOME tab, in the Paragraph
group. The numbering buttons are in the top row, and clicking the
arrow next to the one for "Outline" gets you into the full set of
commands.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich Rich is offline

I cannot see the the "Ouline" button you mention, but I do a a
MultiLevel list. When I apply this to a document I have been working on
in Outline view with multiple levels the paragraphs are not numbered in
a Multilevel way i.e I don't get 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1 etc, I just get 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. Even promting and demoting a paragraph leaves the
numbers intact instead of applying the correct level?

What am I missing?

Many thanks
Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Rich,

I cannot see the the "Ouline" button you mention, but I do a a
MultiLevel list. When I apply this to a document I have been working on
in Outline view with multiple levels the paragraphs are not numbered in
a Multilevel way i.e I don't get 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1 etc, I just get 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. Even promting and demoting a paragraph leaves the
numbers intact instead of applying the correct level?

What am I missing?

How are you promoting/demoting, and in which view?

If I apply a multilevel list from this button I can press
Shift+Alt+right/left arrow to demote/promote (as long as I'm not in the
middle of the first paragraph of the list).

But applying this kind of numbering does not automatically assign an
outline level to the text that can be used in Outline view. That
attribute is linked to the paragraph format, which means you'd need to
associate the numbering with styles. For example, the basic Heading
styles have this be default.

This hasn't changed since Word 2003, except that the "Numbering" button
isn't available when in the Outline tab is selected. But you can click on
the "Home" tab while leaving the Outline tab visible (without closing
Outline view).