trf

Default Embed fields in a separate source file?

Oops -- I should have changed that subject line. I thought I was going to ask
a different question when I first typed it out. The subject should be more
like "Using ranges in INCLUDETEXT fields". Sorry about that -- for the
future, is there a way to remove a post (so I could repost with the right
subject)?

Rob

"trf" wrote:

I'm trying to create a "catalog" type mail merge document, but for 60 of the
~100 records, a sizable chunk of the text has already been written (and it
doesn't make sense to regenerate it using a new mail merge). I believe that I
need to use an IF field in conjunction with an INCLUDETEXT field:
{ IF {MERGEFIELD AlreadyWritten } = "Yes" "{ INCLUDETEXT c:\\xxx.doc }"
"other text and fields" }.

But, since there are 60 different versions of that text that's already been
written (a different version for each record), I can't just refer to one doc
in xxx.doc. What I'd like to do is set up all 60 of those already-written
chunks of text into one document, establish 60 bookmarks representing the
text that corresponds to each record, and then in the INCLUDETEXT field,
reference the range that corresponds to a specific record.

How do I do that? Is there a way outside VBA? If VBA is the only way, does
that mean that I might as well code the entire merge process (which will
involve a number of nested conditional statements anyway) into VBA rather
than using non-VBA mail merge fields?

Thanks!
Rob