Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Thomas Peter Thomas is offline

Default Word 2007 Normal template question

Hi,

I am running MS Office 2007 on a PC with XP.

I am unable to alter the default template - normal.dotm - I want to
have the default settings for word to be A4 page size and Times new
Roman font.

I cannot find (using the XP search function) an file called
normal.dotm. anywhere on my PC - there are lots of templates in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033, but not the default
template.

I've tried making a new template with the required format, but
wherever I place it it never opens - I alwa=ys get a new document that
is set as Letter and Calibri(body).

I'm obviously missing someting or doing something wrong - any
suggestions as to what or how to achieve what I want to do would be
very much appreciated

--
Cheers

Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should be able to do both without physically editing normal.dotm (but in
any case you are looking in the wrong place). The file will be a hidden file
in the folder indicated at Word Options Advanced file locations (scroll
right to the bottom) User Templates which by default will be
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

The default settings for Word are determined by Windows Regional settings.
If you set a country that uses Letter paper, that's what is configured.
However change it from Page Layout Size More Paper sizes set A4 and
check the 'Default' button.

Similarly you can change styles and the fonts they use by right clicking the
appropriate entry.

Peter Thomas wrote:
Hi,

I am running MS Office 2007 on a PC with XP.

I am unable to alter the default template - normal.dotm - I want to
have the default settings for word to be A4 page size and Times new
Roman font.

I cannot find (using the XP search function) an file called
normal.dotm. anywhere on my PC - there are lots of templates in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033, but not the default
template.

I've tried making a new template with the required format, but
wherever I place it it never opens - I alwa=ys get a new document that
is set as Letter and Calibri(body).

I'm obviously missing someting or doing something wrong - any
suggestions as to what or how to achieve what I want to do would be
very much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Thomas Peter Thomas is offline

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:49:06 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

You should be able to do both without physically editing normal.dotm (but in
any case you are looking in the wrong place). The file will be a hidden file
in the folder indicated at Word Options Advanced file locations (scroll
right to the bottom) User Templates which by default will be
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

The default settings for Word are determined by Windows Regional settings.
If you set a country that uses Letter paper, that's what is configured.
However change it from Page Layout Size More Paper sizes set A4 and
check the 'Default' button.

Similarly you can change styles and the fonts they use by right clicking the
appropriate entry.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the info - I've now loctaed and ameneded the
normal.dot template - a success for once :-)

--
Cheers

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stewart walker stewart walker is offline

Graham:

i want to change the default font. the normal font in the normal template in
word 2007 is determined by the body font in the theme. i can't change that
directly, using the styles within the document, as far as i can tell.

looking at the fonts within themes in various places it shows up, i can't
find a place to change the default body font.

please advise. in particular, if there is any useful documentation on the
hierarchy of themes, templates, styles, etc., let me know. the things i have
found so far online are not clear and detailed enough for me to understand.

my current d

Peter Thomas wrote:
Hi,

I am running MS Office 2007 on a PC with XP.

I am unable to alter the default template - normal.dotm - I want to
have the default settings for word to be A4 page size and Times new
Roman font.

I cannot find (using the XP search function) an file called
normal.dotm. anywhere on my PC - there are lots of templates in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033, but not the default
template.

I've tried making a new template with the required format, but
wherever I place it it never opens - I alwa=ys get a new document that
is set as Letter and Calibri(body).

I'm obviously missing someting or doing something wrong - any
suggestions as to what or how to achieve what I want to do would be
very much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stewart walker stewart walker is offline

good example of what i am struggling with. doesn't answer my question.

i get that i can change to defalt font. i get that i can manipulate
templates. i am trying to understand how to work with themes, templates and
styles.

if you know of good, detailed documentation, i would appreciate it.

Peter Thomas wrote:
Hi,

I am running MS Office 2007 on a PC with XP.

I am unable to alter the default template - normal.dotm - I want to
have the default settings for word to be A4 page size and Times new
Roman font.

I cannot find (using the XP search function) an file called
normal.dotm. anywhere on my PC - there are lots of templates in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033, but not the
default template.

I've tried making a new template with the required format, but
wherever I place it it never opens - I alwa=ys get a new document
that is set as Letter and Calibri(body).

I'm obviously missing someting or doing something wrong - any
suggestions as to what or how to achieve what I want to do would be
very much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

First, here's a little background on how the (Body) and (Headings) fonts
function. Unlike past versions, in which you could specify a single default
font, you can now specify two default fonts, one for (Headings) and one for
(Body). If you use the (Body) and (Headings) fonts in your document then
modify the Theme, specifically the Theme Font set, the (Body) and (Headings)
fonts will automatically update to those defined in the Theme Font set.
While you can set a default font, other than (Body) for your document or
template by modifying the Document Defaults, this will only apply to the
(Body) font and not the (Headings) font. If you want to create documents
that can quickly swap fonts to adhere to another specified formatting then
it's best to modify the Theme Fonts instead. This also allows you to use the
same font for both (Body) and (Headings) if you'd like. (Also note you can
disable the ability to swap fonts in a document if that is a concern.)

You'll find Theme elements on the Page Layout tab, in the Themes group.
Alternatively, on the Home tab, in the Styles group, click Change Styles.
For either method, click Fonts and either select another set of Theme Fonts
or create a new Font Set using the link at the bottom. Doing so will modify
both (Headings) and (Body) used by styles that utilize the (Headings) and
(Body) fonts in your document. If you want your selected Theme Font set to
be the default for new documents based on the document template, then from
Change Styles, click Set As Default. (If your document is based on a
template other than the Normal template then this command will read, Set As
Default for Template Name.)

If you want to see if modifying the Document Defaults is what you are
looking for then display the Styles task pane, click Manage Styles at the
bottom, click Set Defaults, and modify the Font. Again, note if you set your
default font to something other than (Body) then your new default font will
not swap if the Theme Fonts are changed but those styles that use (Headings)
for the font will swap if the Theme Fonts are changed. If you want to
prevent your Headings from changing then you need to modify the styles that
use the (Headings) font and define another font. However, I've found it's
far easier and faster to modify the Theme Fonts for a document/template and
disable font switching if necessary.

As for documentation, so far I don't know of any detailed resources
available online. There might be in a few books that are available that
contain the details that you are looking for - I'm certain one does, anyway.
;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"stewart walker" wrote in message
Graham:

i want to change the default font. the normal font in the normal template
in
word 2007 is determined by the body font in the theme. i can't change that
directly, using the styles within the document, as far as i can tell.

looking at the fonts within themes in various places it shows up, i can't
find a place to change the default body font.

please advise. in particular, if there is any useful documentation on the
hierarchy of themes, templates, styles, etc., let me know. the things i
have
found so far online are not clear and detailed enough for me to
understand.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stewart walker stewart walker is offline

Thanks, very much. can you describe the connection between Word 2007 and
Outlook 2007 email styles and signatures? I trying to get that consistent and
can't yet.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You're welcome. :-)

Regarding your question about Outlook and Word, there is no longer a
connection between the two. Outlook doesn't use Word as its email editor any
longer (it uses a DLL for the email editor instead) and they no longer share
the Normal template. So if you set up a style in Word you won't see it in
Outlook. This change is due to the many problems that were caused by trying
to share components in previous versions. For some, it was so bad they
couldn't use Word as their email editor due to the numerous error messages
that wouuld occur. Since they are now independent they each need to be setup
independently. Not something I like but I DO like the fact I can finally use
Word functionality in Outlook now.

BUT note that you can still create emails in Word and utilize styles and
such that you've setup in Word. What you need to do is add a command to your
Quick Access Toolbar. To do so, Right-click your QAT and selected "Customize
Quick Access Toolbar". In the "Commands Not in the Ribbon" category locate
"Send to Mail Recipient" and it to your QAT. Then when you click the command
you'll see a email header has been added to the Word document. To turn it
off, just click the button again.