Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Insert autotext missing in headers/footers

You don't have to "save over it." You open it just as you would any other
document or template and use Save (not Save As). Word happily permits this.

"Vince T" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne. I can see now that I have 'gone the wrong way around the
block' to arrive at the same point. I should have amended the normal.dot
rather than transfering the styles to a new template and then replacing
normal.dot with my new one. However, I have always found it difficult in

the
past to amend normal .dot because Word doesn't allow you to save over it
while the program is still open.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have missed the point. You cannot create a Normal.dot; only Word can

do
that. You need instead to modify the existing Normal.dot to your
requirements.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Vince T" wrote in message
news
Thanks, Suzanne. I also found that to reinstate the standard

normal.dot
template, I simply delete the normal.dot I had altered from its

location
(see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291446/) and Word creates a new

Normal.dot
with the autotext entries and standard fonts. Then I followed the
instructions in the link you gave me to use Organizer to copy the

styles
into
a new template. Then I changed the normal font to my desired one in

Format
Styles and saved the template under a new name, closed Word, deleted
Normal.dot and renamed my new template as Normal.dot so that it

becomes
the
default.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The most common reason for missing AutoText entries is having saved

document or template as Normal.dot. See €śWD2002: Styles and AutoText

Are
Not
Copied to New Template Based on Normal.dot€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291441

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Vince T" wrote in message
Thanks, Cindy. I checked the style in the header and the footer

and
they
are
both correct. I had previously changed the header and footer

fonts
throuhg
the Format Style option. Would that have deleted the Autotext

entries?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?VmluY2UgVA==?=,

The option to 'insert autotext' is blanked out in the drop

down
menu
in my
Word 2000 View header and footer. Does anyone know how I can

restore
it? I
have tried the repair function on the Office 200 SR-1 disk.

Check the STYLE of the header/footer area. AutoText entries are

assigned
categories, based on the style with which they are formatted.

The
entries for
the Header/Footer require that the "Header" or "Footer" style be

applied
to the
current selection. If another style has been used, this list

won't
be
available.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17

2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)