Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Balzyone Balzyone is offline

Default Custom Wizard to fill out a Form

Does MS Word 2003 allow for the creation of a custom wizard that can fill out
a form I create? I want to streamline how we write documents, and we have
the main template work done. I want to automate how we create the document
with a wizard that will ask the questions and create the document from how
the questions are answered. I had done something very similar way back in a
wordperfect program (version was less than the number of fingers on one hand)
where I had a template and another document that had the questions, and with
a merge feature, the document would fill in the fields. I figure with MS
wizards, this should be easier than 15 years ago.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can do almost anything you want with a userform (custom dialog) or a
series of them. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Balzyone wrote:
Does MS Word 2003 allow for the creation of a custom wizard that can
fill out a form I create? I want to streamline how we write
documents, and we have the main template work done. I want to
automate how we create the document with a wizard that will ask the
questions and create the document from how the questions are
answered. I had done something very similar way back in a
wordperfect program (version was less than the number of fingers on
one hand) where I had a template and another document that had the
questions, and with a merge feature, the document would fill in the
fields. I figure with MS wizards, this should be easier than 15
years ago.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Balzyone Balzyone is offline

The next question is, will this allow you to select which sections to include
in the template, if the box is checked include section__ with the following
questions?

Balzyone wrote:
Does MS Word 2003 allow for the creation of a custom wizard that can
fill out a form I create? I want to streamline how we write
documents, and we have the main template work done. I want to
automate how we create the document with a wizard that will ask the
questions and create the document from how the questions are
answered. I had done something very similar way back in a
wordperfect program (version was less than the number of fingers on
one hand) where I had a template and another document that had the
questions, and with a merge feature, the document would fill in the
fields. I figure with MS wizards, this should be easier than 15
years ago.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can do that, but it will take some programming in VBA and some setup in
the template.

There are a couple of ways to go about it.

- You can create the template with all the possible pieces in it, and
designate each piece with a bookmark or by separating them with section
breaks. Then the code in the userform can hide or delete the pieces that
correspond to boxes that aren't checked. (Be careful with the word
"section" -- in Word, it specifically means the part of a document between
two section breaks. If you use bookmarks, you don't need any section breaks,
so the document is technically all one "section".)

- You can create the template so that it's initially blank (or has only
boilerplate that appears in all copies), and the optional pieces are stored
in AutoText entries. Then the code in the userform inserts the AutoText
entries that correspond to boxes that are checked.

You may be getting the idea by now that setting this up with Word probably
isn't going to be easier than it was in WordPerfect all those years ago. :-(

If you don't want to build it yourself, have a look at DataPrompter
(http://www.wordsite.com/products/dpdas.htm), a product that's built to do
what you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

You can do almost anything you want with a userform (custom dialog)
or a series of them. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm.

--
Regards,