Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aaron Elliott Aaron Elliott is offline

Default Disabled Items in Word.

Where does Word store its list of disabled items as I would like to clean it
out (somehow) automatically. If thats possible.

Also, on occasion Word reports a problem with a macro on a fileserver that
no longer exists and wants to disable it. If the location no longer exists,
why does it want to load it? How can it load it?

Is it possible to 'flush' any/all configuration of this type?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What 'disabled' items do you have in mind? Word stores its settings in a
variety of places- primarily the normal.dot template and the registry. You
can reset both, if that is what you are sure you want to do by deleting (or
preferably renaming) normal.dot and the Word data key in the registry- which
for Word 2003 will be
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data Other information
is stored elsewhere.

Macros are stored in normal.dot (see above) add-ins and document templates
(also occasionally in documents). A macro if present will try and do what it
is programmed to do. If those conditions are not present to allow it to do
that you will get an error message.

If you want specific help you need to be more specific about the exact
nature of the problem.

Aaron Elliott wrote:
Where does Word store its list of disabled items as I would like to
clean it out (somehow) automatically. If thats possible.

Also, on occasion Word reports a problem with a macro on a fileserver
that no longer exists and wants to disable it. If the location no
longer exists, why does it want to load it? How can it load it?

Is it possible to 'flush' any/all configuration of this type?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aaron Elliott Aaron Elliott is offline

The disabled items I am refering to are those which collect in the Help/About
Word/Disabled Items box. It is not uncommon for various macros we use to end
up in there, rightly or wrongly or otherwise. (e.g. Hummingbird/HotDocs etc)

To save people firstly finding that some aspect of the system is not
functioning and then calling the Helpdesk, I would like to know if there is a
way I can programatically (via the logon script) clear it out.

We run a Citrix environment and all too often the answer to a lot of
questions is 'recreate the profile' so I was hoping to avoid that if possible.

Also, can anyone explain the black magic that goes on in the way Toolbars
and Menus are installed from applications such as Adobe Acrobat???
I have a situation where I cannot remove a Adobe menu and its very
frustrating when you do not understand - let alone can't work out - how they
get there in the first place.

Thanks!

Aaron Elliott wrote:
Where does Word store its list of disabled items as I would like to
clean it out (somehow) automatically. If thats possible.

Also, on occasion Word reports a problem with a macro on a fileserver
that no longer exists and wants to disable it. If the location no
longer exists, why does it want to load it? How can it load it?

Is it possible to 'flush' any/all configuration of this type?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LUMC LUMC is offline

As for the Adobe (and such) toolbars, some programs are installed as Add-ins.
When You do not wish to see a toolbar you go to Tools\Templates and add-ins
and clear the box before the listed items.

As for the disabled items: That is a good question. Per machine you can
enable those items again, but in a large network this is not what you want.
Maybe there are options in the GPO?