Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joni S Joni S is offline

Default Word document surveys in table format

I have received 52 surveys that are each in a separate file. They are surveys
in table format only (not forms). For example, the questions ask to mark an X
in the column related to 'satisfied,' 'unsatsified' etc. I have the files in
one folder and would like to export the data to either excel or access. Is
there a macro that could help or get me started please? Thank you, Joni S
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The following article will show you how to access all of the documents in a
folder

"Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm

Then you will need to determine in which column the X is located and
transfer the information into a table in your data base.

You will find some information on doing that sort of thing in the last of
the series of articles on fellow MVP Dian Chapman's website at:

http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

Seems to me however that you will have to put a bit of thought into how you
want to translate the response into a record in the datasource. That is, do
you want one record for each respondent or one record for each question

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Joni S" wrote in message
I have received 52 surveys that are each in a separate file. They are
surveys
in table format only (not forms). For example, the questions ask to mark
an X
in the column related to 'satisfied,' 'unsatsified' etc. I have the files
in
one folder and would like to export the data to either excel or access. Is
there a macro that could help or get me started please? Thank you, Joni S

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joni S Joni S is offline

Doug - thanks. You have pointed me in a research direction for this. And I've
been much educated along the way. Although, I'm vearing down the xml path for
organizing the data. Does that make sense since I am using Word 2007 for the
simple table. I wish I would have used a Word Form - rather than simply a
table with x's. Any additional words of advice? thanks. Joni

"Joni S" wrote in message
I have received 52 surveys that are each in a separate file. They are
surveys
in table format only (not forms). For example, the questions ask to mark
an X
in the column related to 'satisfied,' 'unsatsified' etc. I have the files
in
one folder and would like to export the data to either excel or access. Is
there a macro that could help or get me started please? Thank you, Joni S

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Maybe only because I have not made use of it, but I would not be going down
the xml path.

My approach would be (to have code) open each document, iterate through the
rows of a table in the document, determine (maybe from the first columnm but
possibly from the row number) to which field (or record) in datatable the
question in that row should be associated, and then by checking the .Text
property of the .Range of each of the cells in the row, determine in which
column the X is located and then inserting the information into the
database.

In the above, I mention "field (or record) in the datatable, because it is
not clear to me whether the table in the database contains a record for each
question and for each question you want to record the number of votes for
each response ( 'satisfied,' 'unsatsified' etc.) or whether you are wanting
to create a new record for each respondent and the questions are fields in
the table and you want to record for each respondent their response to each
question.

There is one other article to which I should have referred you as it may
also be applicable

"Making groups of Check Box Form Fields mutually exclusive (so that they
behave like radio buttons)" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...FmFldChbxs.htm

The method in that article can be modified so that you can have formfield
checkboxes in the cells of a row of a table act in that way.